Chicory and it's effect on P

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
There's one buck that pretty much always has snot in his nose. He's in permanent QT while I've been experimenting, because, well, why not?
Duramycin keeps snot away for two days, then needs to be given again.
But I noticed that on days I feed chicory [just recently found out what it was] that he has no snot, 100% dry and clean nose. I stared at his face as he ate his chicory today and it's perfectly clean. He thought I was being weird and stopped eating and stared back at me for a few seconds until I noticed we were in a staring contest and I patted him on the head and left.

Did anyone know chicory did this? I know it's a herb and read it was used as all sorts of things and stomach issues.

The rabbits eat nearly all of the 3-4ft tall messy looking plants, only the thickest stems they leave behind, they just love it.

Very interesting! Makes sense that there is something natural that has an effect on P. I need to find out what chicory is and if we have any around here! Seems like it would be good to have on hand! Thanks for posting this. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has tried it out.

Looks similar to dandelion at first, then starts to grow crazy stalks and then very pretty blue flowers.

net pic
Chicory_04.jpg

As a teen I was picking the flowers with my dad for medicinal teas.
Later in the season we would pic the roots.
But here what they say:
Root chicory contains volatile oils similar to those found in plants in the related genus Tanacetum which includes Tansy, and is similarly effective at eliminating intestinal worms. All parts of the plant contain these volatile oils, with the majority of the toxic components concentrated in the plant's root.[18]

"Chicory is well known for its toxicity to internal parasites. Studies indicate that ingestion of chicory by farm animals results in reduction of worm burdens,[19][20][21] which has prompted its widespread use as a forage supplement."
"Chicory (especially the flower), used as a folk medicine in Germany, is recorded in many books as an ancient German treatment for everyday ailments. It is variously used as a tonic and as a treatment for gallstones, gastro-enteritis, sinus problems and cuts and bruises."
In your place I would move the rabbits for 3 days and spray bleach/salt solution 3 time before returning the rabbits.
You have a virus in the equipment.

When you have a health problem that it goes away when you treat but comes back when you stop then the problem is in the equipment.

"Pasteurella is a genus of Gram-negative, facultatively anaerobic bacteria."
"P. multocida can survive several days in water or moist areas."
I do not know of any bacteria able to survive chlorine.
Especially 3 day treatment.

I think he means infection. Of course you know that Pasteurella is a lot more persistent than that though.

Bleach sounds like a good plan anyway. 3 times might be overreacting a tad. Bleach kills everything pretty fast and from what I read, Pasteurella can't live more than 24 hours outside of a body.

I'd bleach the hutch once and rinse it to oblivion like it was eggplant on my plate.

I'm pretty interested in the chicory idea too. Please keep us informed.

Chicory is a wonderful rabbit food, right up there with dandelions and plantain.
http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/ ... 3/abstract

I know it has medicinal properties as well, so it does not totally surprise me to learn that it shows promise as regards pasteurella. Apparently there is some thought that the root acts as a prebiotic.
http://www.prebiotic.ca/chicory_root.html

This article seems interesting. I've just skimmed it because this is a busy time of day for me and I have just stopped for a breather, but it might be worth a look.
http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/ ... 3/abstract

It has been my experience that the European invasive weeds - the ones that European wild rabbits have been eating since the end of the last Ice Age - are among our best choices for forage for our rabbits. (See the Safe Plants list for some of the best ones.)<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:33 pm __________<br /><br />Andrei, when you quote a source you must give the link so that people can go there and learn more.

I never said the chicory cured the rabbit, just hid the symptom. That would make cleaning a cage pointless, since the bacteria is still inside the rabbit.

Agree.
It is a respiratory system diseased caused by a bacteria.
You work on him with medication or natural but his environment is contaminated.
And that becomes frustrating because it is only a band aid.
It is just like treating a dog for fleas but not the yard.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:57 pm __________<br /><br />You could try some rosemary or/and thyme.

Turmeric is also supposed to be a nice herbal cure for what ails a lot of people-an effective immune system booster.-I have been looking for chicory plants to transplant into my rabbit garden-- My neighbors think I am nuts for growing 'weeds' but at least mine are legal!

ok... going for a long walk and gathering craploads of chicory just got bumped up the priority list :mrgreen:

is there such thing as too much with them? I mean I cant imagine giving a lot of it at once but still good to know.

Right now, common chicory (Chicorium intybus) forms the largest proportion of my rabbits greens. As long as the rabbits are used to greens, I can't see it being a problem. It was so hot this morning, that except for whatever other edible plants came my way, the whole bucketful was chicory. We have some lovely patches of the stuff! :D

If I were too much of any one green, the rabbits would leave it and eat the alfalfa hay or grain instead.

Back