Chicken's belly is hot and swollen

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoPrairie

Reaction score
I just noticed yesterday that my chicken's belly is looking swollen and it hot to the touch. Not just slightly warm, but REALLY warm. I did a quick search of what it could be and found ascites, but I'm not sure it's that. For a long time her bowel movements have been on the softer side, not really ever normal that I can remember. I've looked into that a few times, and because she doesn't act sick or anything, I haven't been able to pin down exactly what is wrong. Since these new developments, though, I feel like time is probably of the essence here if I want to save her.

Has anyone had any issue like this with their chickens? What did you do?

I have lost a couple of hens to being egg bound..is she still laying? Chickens just don't give you much warning.. my last loss was a beautiful roo that had freaters on his legs..my grandson loved that bird he died with no warning. Cameron had named him fancy pants.. he is only seven and still cries over it.
Best of luck..I wish I could help ..birds are hard.. :cry:

Birds really are hard to deal with...I had one die too. :cry: I'm so super sorry. I really, really, REALLY wish I could help. :( Hoping for the best.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm [sort of] ok with this--not that I want to lose my Lucy, but because I had suspected something wrong for a long time but just never could figure it out. She hasn't been laying for a long time, which is another tip off. I'm most concerned that this isn't a contagious illness, creating a situation for my other 4 girls or any others I decide to add to the flock next year. I suppose if she dies before I can do anything for her, I can always take her up to UC Davis for a necropsy. Still, I'd love to try to relieve any discomfort she is experiencing, that's for sure.

Miss M":k9spiiw9 said:
Could it be an impacted crop? I had one with that once... I know you said "belly", but I wasn't sure where you were meaning.

I haven't checked her crop, so I can't say definitely not, but the swollen part is down lower, more toward her legs, but not quite between if that makes sense.

Hm, I lost 3 chickens over the last 2 years to something I don't know, they got weak to the point that they sat/lay in the yard and could not stand up anymore, but still laying eggs.

One had a serious problem, never layed and was full of half developed, conglomerated eggs.

So only 2 from our herd of 6 still live. It seems easier with rabbits to tell what went wrong, birds are a mystery for me...

I, too, was wondering if it could be crop related. I had one with an impacted crop and she looked/felt like she had a water balloon on her chest... I tried some small efforts to get her back, but it just wouldn't go away. When I culled her I opened it up and it was disgusting...

Latest posts

Back