Chickens and Ducks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
Next Spring we are thinking about adding about 3-4 chickens and a duck or 2. So in true Cathy fashion I'm hitting the books and web. :oops: :lol: :lol: Told my DH that I wanted to hit the library for some light reading. :lol: :lol: I came out with the loan limit. :p :lol: :lol: Only 7 :evil: :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any ways, Please inform me. I know I want large brown eggs and about a dozen per week. I know that some breeds tend to be calmer than others. The ones that we watch once in awhile don't like people. AT ALL. That might be because we don't spend much time with them, but even with those some are more pleasant to be around.

Am planning to house together, and allow them to free range during the day. Training tips would be great.

For the duck(s) we want eggs from it too, so no drakes. Needs to waddle I don't want anything that can out run me, or fly away. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So let me have your best and worst stories. :popcorn:

My favorites chickens are buff orpingtons and black australorps. Both breeds were quite friendly with us and each other, and they certainly laid plenty of large brown eggs.

I've had quite the assortment of chicken breeds for fun and eggs. My favorite two are the Brahma and Jersey Giant. They are good multipurpose breeds if you are interested in also having them for meat (or accidentally end up with roosters).

My experience with ducks is not as extensive and I did not care for them - they are too messy for me, but the eggs are excellent. Ours were Ancona ducks. They were good layers, but they need to be penned I think. Our females would hide their nests so a lot of eggs went to waste and no drake so I knew they weren't fertile.

I have no experience with ducks, but we've had a small backyard flock of chickens since 2003. We started with Speckled Sussex - lovely breed but they lay buff eggs, not brown.

Later we tried Dominiques and they did well for us, laid nice brown eggs, but I didn't like them as much. . . They didn't seem to have much personality.

Right now we have Welsummers, Cuckoo Marans and one white Leghorn. The Welsummers and Marans lay lovely large dark eggs. The Leghorn lays white eggs, of course, but she is such a character that we overlook that. :lol:

MidnightCoder has his own flock of Silkies. Not what you want if you like big brown eggs, but considered a good breed for "pet" chickens.

If you want friendly chickens, take the scraps you are feeding them to them personally and holler something like "Heeere, chick, chick, chick." In no time at all they will know to come on the run. Boy, they sure look funny when they run!

A small backyard flock of free range chickens is a joy. They are pleasant to watch going about their business and they sure help keep down the insects around the grounds. BUT if you have flower beds and so forth that are important to you, please be aware that they will scratch in them and dust-bathe in them.

I saw on a website that duck lay up to 3 hours after sun rise and chickens is up to 5 hours after sun rise :?: :?

But the chickens we watch lay all day. I know I don't want to do an easter egg hunt. One of the black chickens lays on the eggs all day and night. She is actually missing most of her belly feathers. Why is that :?: :x

Was planning to put chicken wire around the garden next year. Won't keep anything else out but should keep the chickens out. :lol: :lol: We are planning on fencing in the yard so neighbor dogs won't be able to get them.

I can train the dogs to leave the birds alone. BUT the cat is a different story :x :? <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 04, 2016 6:11 pm __________ <br /><br /> Can chicks and ducklings be housed in the same brooder?

If not:

Then how should I introduce them? Through a fence?

I have only ever lost little bitty chicks to the cat, even the bantams have done OK surviving while free ranging.

As for fencing the garden - mine can fly well enough to scale chicken wire fences (if they were 6' they might not be able to though). I pur bird netting over their run and the little boogers are still figuring ways out. I have one that is a houdini - I have never been able to keep her in. Once time I watched her flatten herself out and squeeze between two sections of chicken wire (that were sandwiched together), and another time had to rescue her because she was up underneath the tarp that was covering the hoop coop - it was tied down quite snugly! I have no idea how she does it. She's been known to disappear then show up a few weeks later with umpteen chicks in tow :roll: .

The one sitting on the eggs day and night is likely broody - I get a couple each year. Some breeds are better for it (if you want it) while others are bred to not go broody. I like to hatch out a few chicks each year because I love watching the process of the mama hen raising up the bitties, not to mention their immunity tends to be better if they can get out and start scratching in the dirt from day 1. I have even gone so far as to take a scoopful of dirt from around the coop and put it in with store bought chicks so they can have that one up as well (supposedly if they get exposed to things like Cocci on day 1 or 2 they develop natural immunity). The other reason is I have some rock star roosters that I don't think I could ever replace (both looks and temperament) and I am trying to keep their genetics in my flock.

I would love a few ducks waddling around, but not until I can have a pond of our own... I don't want to deal with a kiddie pool of nasty water each day, although Pinterest has some neat ideas for making that chore less of a chore.

Oh, as for chicken breeds. My roosters that I am so fond of are Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. The first generation of hens (I had a trio) died from sour crop, so evidently there was something wrong with them there, but their off spring don't seem to be having any trouble (and I have 3 generations worth). The first rooster I still have - he's about 6 years old and showing his age. I think I am going to have to cull him pretty soon. He's big, and I think his weight is taking it's toll on his ankles (do chicken's have ankles??). He's having a harder time getting around and doesn't seem to be able to even mount the hens anymore. His son has a much better strut so I am hoping whatever health issues I had with them will be limited to that first generation trio I was given. My friend favors Golden Comets for layers (they go by a variety of names), but I like a bit more variety for my yard ornaments. I have Dominiques (not sure why, but they have been favorites), Easter Eggers (SO fun to get blue and green eggs! not to mention their coloring is so varied... I even have one I have dubbed my Duck Dynasty hen b/c she has a big black beard! :lol: ), and a few mutts that have been mixes of BLRW, Black Australorp and who knows what else. I want Buff and Lavender Orps so bad, but for some reason can't keep the Buffs alive (not anything with the breed... total fluke stuff like snakes, dogs, poor temp control in the brooder, etc.). <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 04, 2016 9:59 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh. and yeah, they lay at random times during the day... and if they free range they do find some fun hiding spots! Thankfully they are so proud of their accomplishment that they will let you know when they are done with a loud chorus of cackles... when I hear them coming from where they shouldn't be I go investigate and have successfully found a number of nests.

If I put a kiddy pool in the ckicken/duck run for the duck, will the chickens drown themselves :? :shock:

Can ducklings and chicks share the same brooder :?

wamplercathy":vy7mleh7 said:
If I put a kiddy pool in the ckicken/duck run for the duck, will the chickens drown themselves :? :shock:

Can ducklings and chicks share the same brooder :?

The chickens shouldn't really have an interest in the kiddy pool, at least in our experience. We kept two ducks with our five chickens and they did fine. We had two drakes though, so I wouldn't know about eggs.

Ducklings and chicks can share the same brooder as long as you are feeding non-medicated starter. The ducklings eat too much food (compared to the chicks) and will actually overdose themselves on medicated feed. They also like to get the water very dirty.

I have chickens, ducks and geese all housed together. Just be careful as the bigger species will bully the smaller species. My ducks bully the hens, the geese bully the ducks and chickens. It's not that big of a deal as they learn to respect each other's space with time, just don't completely outnumber chickens with ducks as you'll soon find your hens bullied into terror. As long as you keep to your no drake rule, you also won't have to worry much about mystery hen drownings (drakes will drag chickens to kiddie pools and drown them in their efforts to mate with them). None of my birds are supplied large bodies of water, just automatic waterers just deep enough they can fit their full face in to wash their eyes and nostrils. They don't need any more than that to thrive. I avoid raising chicks and ducklings together but because I supply my ducklings a much deeper water supply (a milk jug with the top cut off and tied to the side of the cage with the handle) since they need to be able to gulp their water in order to swallow their feed. Chicks would drown in this situation. Ducks will mess with their waterers a lot in general too (and their poo is very wet and runny compared to a chicks) and you will have a lot of wet bedding which will easily chill your chicks. Also the size difference.
DuckandChick.jpg

2 week old chick compared to 2 week old duckling.
But all that hardly matters if it's just one duck really, it becomes an issue once you hit 3 of the super soakers.

As far as some ducks that can fly/are able to get up enough to go over any fence you use (eg. muscovies) there is always the option of having your ducklings pinioned. Despite the disagreement of this procedure (it is literally having a section of the wing bone removed on one wing) it is actually a legal requirement for some breeds in some states (especially when it comes to waterfowl) as escaped domestic waterfowl can decimate native species. Otherwise I would strongly urge to stick with just peking. They are primarily bred for egg laying and also make great table birds. They're dumber than a box of rocks and because of it are super friendly. They can't even begin to try and fly. I keep Cayuga which I'm planning to replace with pinioned Muscovies (they are the best at fly and mosquito control and are extremely great mothers on their own)

Word of warning - duck eggs are /thicker/ than chicken eggs. I am not referring to the shell. Some people are really turned off by this but this quality is what makes them better than chicken eggs for baking. (Ducks also poo on their eggs, always, it is a natural instinct meant to camouflage the eggs from predators)

My absolute fav chicken breeds are Salmon Faverolles (a medium cream egg layer) and Easter eggers /americauna (a large green/blue egg layer). I avoid Rhode Island reds like the plague personally, they are not very friendly and will pluck your non RIR's bald. There's some nice ones out there that people have come across but those are extremely few and far between. I've had Australorps in the past, they are friendly but really stick to other australorps/black birds and shun anything else. It gets boring seeing just solid black birds all the time.

Was planning on brooding on wire with a shoe, type, box for sleeping. Hoping this will cut down on some of the mess. Next Spring I am going to buy 10-12 chicks and 4-6 ducklings. With the thought that I may loose some in shipping or due to my own inexperience. Only plan to keep 4 chickens and 1 duck, with the excesses going to freezer camp. :dinner: :lol: :lol:

Thank you all.

wamplercathy":zoi5dqgv said:
Was planning on brooding on wire with a shoe, type, box for sleeping. Hoping this will cut down on some of the mess. Next Spring I am going to buy 10-12 chicks and 4-6 ducklings. With the thought that I may loose some in shipping or due to my own inexperience. Only plan to keep 4 chickens and 1 duck, with the excesses going to freezer camp. :dinner: :lol: :lol:

Ideal poultry has been a great shipper btw if you are shipping. Their shipping costs are WAY cheaper than other hatcheries and they pack a lot of "packing peanuts" (extra chicks, usually males, used for body heat on smaller orders, almost always australorps or RIR) I always raise my peanuts up for later eating. :mrgreen:

I've had them refund on any dead chicks too within the first few days - a week, without any issues.

Latest posts

Back