chicken fried rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carebear

Reaction score
(sorry I don't have definate amounts, I usually just wing it)
The night before, cut the meat up into the appropriate sizes and marinate overnight in enough buttermilk to cover. I use a zip bag and place it in a bowl in case of leaks. I add seasonings, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder. The acid in the buttermilk helps to tenderize the meat.

A couple hours before dinner, drain the buttermilk from the meat. In a bowl put flour and add what seasonings you like, and here's the magic, ranch powder to taste. I taste the flour mixture to make sure it's not too salty. It's easy to fix, just add more flour.

Dredge the meat in the flour and place it on a cooling rack to rest. This is a very important step. It helps the coating adhere to the meat so it doesn't fall off during cooking. It should rest for at least 45 minutes. At this point in time I allow the meat to come up to room temperature. I believe this helps the meat cook all the way. (you can do the resting in the fridge if you are uncomfortable with the room temp rest)

I use a frying blend oil and a deep chicken fryer cast iron pan. It's important to have the oil hot enough that the moisture bubbling out from the meat keeps the oil from flowing in. Keeps the meat from being greasy. I also have an instant read to check the pieces with the bone still in them. I cooked to 170 but I'm not sure what the recommended temp is. The nugget sized pieces worried me less and I cooked them til they were golden brown and delicious.This was DH's first rabbit meal, and the meat came out tender in spite of me freezing the rabbit before it came out of rigor. I thank the buttermilk for that. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back