chicken coop plans?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopSuey

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have some chicks coming in a few months and I need to build a coop. I started one, but scraped it. Does anyone have some easy to follow plans for a backyard coop to accomodate approx 3 chickens? I am a fairly novice carpentar as well. Thanks.

I built a chicken tractor and it was super easy. I took used 1x1 and made 2 frames at 10'x4'. Inside each of those frames I measured 2' from the end and added a 1x1 brace. I used 1x1 vertically at each corner to connect the frames and 1x1 to connect the braces. I made it 2' tall. I took a sheet of plywood and sawed it in half lengthwise. Take one of the halves and saw it in half so that you have 2 sections measuring 2'x4'. The small 2' section of your frame (between the braces and the end) is going to be the shelter. On a the end wall where your shelter is, you will nail on of the pieces of plywood. Hinge the other piece to the top. Cut two 2' sections from your final piece of plywood for the sides. You will have an extra 4'x2' section left. This will be a removable piece that you just lay on top for additional protection when/if needed. Now, take chicken wire and staple it to the other end of the tractor, fully enclosing it. Don't forget to make it so you can pull that back if necessary (I made that mistake). You can put handles on each end and move it around.

Total time to make it...1/2 day. I woke up one morning and decided I was going to have chickens, drew up the plans really quick, drove to town and picked up the materials, came home and built it. I did have help stapling the wire on.

We did much the same thing - had a book of plans and everything then decided to see what we could cobble together - we had an old piece of counter which we used as a base (we put the coop up on little legs) then banged some old barn board on a frame ... roofed it with pieces of a tin roof that's falling down on our farm.. used hardward cloth to patch up the holes (as ours is a summer coop only) I made a seperate nest box and attached it to the side ...
so far our girls (2 the first summer and three last summer) have enjoyed it
It cost 10 bucks total .. the chicken wire for the getting used to being here run cost more than the whole coop :)

http://vareharrifarm.blogspot.com/2009/ ... girls.html here's a picture of part of the coop :)

hey maggie (total thread hijack here - sorry!) how are your fowl? :)<br /><br />__________ Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:01 pm __________<br /><br />

Hey, Brody, thanks for asking. All the chickies are doing well but none of them are laying at present. That's normal... They are on their usual winter vacation and will start again soon, I'm sure, now that the days are getting longer. The geese are fine... They don't mind the winter at all. I caught Patrick tugging playfully on Elsie's tail the other day... I know what he is thinking about!

Woohooo - go Patrick - keep working on baby gessies for me when I am ready :)
glad the girls are all well ... when the light changes they'll get busy again one hopes :)

Thanks! I am currently retrofitting one of the rabbit hutches, and building an attachable run :) Small steps with lots of help from people who are better at angles and other stuff like that than I am :)

Back