Chewed Leg

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siddsaysgimmie

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is where I should post this. I'm sorry if it's not.

Yesterday morning, one of my first-timers had babies. All are okay except one that she chewed some of the back leg on. Through the bone in one place. Totally attached, but it was a little "floppy" yesterday because of the broken bone. The leg is purple/black. The baby is very active and has a nice full belly this morning. Here is a picture from yesterday morning.

*Warning! Pretty darn gross!*

Today, the leg doesn't seem floppy any more. Seems to be healing incredibly fast. Now, what does the purple/black color mean? Is the leg "dead"? Does this guy have a chance of a good life? If so, what should I be doing to help?

Thanks.

I would nip off that broken bit with some sterilized scissors or exacto blade. The rest of the leg should heal up okay. Buns can live well missing a leg.

The leg is dead.

A rabbit can live fine with only 3 legs

BUT

In the best case scenario it will dry up and break off but instead it could start to rot and spread to the rest of the leg through the bone and the rabbit will slowly die of septicemia.

If you notice the leg staying "juicy" rather than drying out, the baby slowing in growth or not having a full belly like siblings then the humane thing to do is to end his suffering.

I already notice in the picture that his belly is not very full, a rabbit in pain is not going to eat.

The picture was taken yesterday morning. Today, the bunny's belly is very full. Since injuries start around the "ankle" area, I worry about the stub that would remain rubbing on everything, causing pain and difficulties walking.

Thanks for your knowledge. I was hoping that the leg was okay and I could just splint it, but not everything works out the way you'd hope.

Latest posts

Back