Chek x NZW Littter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proper2

Reaction score
So my NZW doe just had her first litter this night, i found 2 and 1 half eaten
So i cant say if she ate more or she only had 3 but i guess maybe because its her first litter, i just hope she will not eat the rest

Sorry to hear about that. :( Our NZW was due yesterday but still haven't seen anything. It was her first time also so maybe she didn't take. I guess first timers can be pretty unpredicatable.

I thought mine was empty too but i was wrong:)she got em on the 34 day

Ok...so there is still hope? I thought for sure she took and she was acting strange yesterday, but she has not even started to make a nest yet. This is our first litter as well as hers so I might be just a little antsy, they probably don't need me to check their water every hour, concidering that it isn't freezing anymore. :roll:

Yes maybe you will still get some, mine made the nest yesterday right next to the nestbox, so i had to move them to the box, had hoped for little more than 2 though..

Proper2, your doe is unlikely to harm living kits. The half-eaten one was probably stillborn or died shortly after birth... The doe was just trying to clean up the nest area to avoid attracting predators. Does that kill and eat their kits are mercifully few and far between. Two is a small litter and I can understand your disappointment, but chances are good she will have more next time. Make sure the kits have lots of fur on top of them and they should be fine.

My NZ Red had a singleton her first time ( which I think was her first litter, ever)... and it was black to boot. But she had a litter of five living the next time, with a total of seven. All live kits were red. So hopefully the same will happen with your doe, or better...

Thanks guys
I am taking the nestbox in during the night cause it got a little colder here, i guess when they are a few weeks old they will be a little more tough against the cold weather

when they are about three weeks, I find they are pretty much like the full grown rabbits, just smaller... so I think you're right.

Back