Charlies, En En, = Megacolon

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really bummed out because I just figured out my Blue eyed white Netherland Dwarf, Sebastian, who had two spotty coated parents has Megacolin :cry: . Under his white/Bew coat he is En En, a charlie. The Megacolin means that his colin is malformed and there are nerve issues so he does not digest his food as well as normal rabbits. Symptoms are large poops shaped like ovals in various sizes, and he has this. He does not seem sick though, and eats well, but they say they megacolin rabbits usually don't start having problems until they are 4 years old, but after 4 they get all sorts of gut issues and don't live much longer. This is so disappointing because it will be difficult to breed without making more charlies, his babies are En en and if I breed babies back to him to get Bews, 75% of kits will be charlies (correct?) and if I breed him to to two different does, then breed the babies together to get Bews, I'll also get 50% charlies. I'm also sad because Sebastian is such a unusually affectionate sweet Netherland dwarf and I want replicas of him :(

Here's link to a scientific paper on Megacolin - http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... acolon.pdf

75% of kits will be charlies (correct?)
50% will be Charlie's and 50% broken

Are you certain his parents white is caused by the broken (Enen) gene and not the Vienna (Vv)?

BEW (vv) are also known to have a host of digestive issues and it could just be his two Vienna genes causing the problems but if coupled with being a Charlie (EnEn) I'm not surprised hes having problems.

Both his parents were spotted but they had litters with solid blacks, broken, and blue eyed white all in the same litter. I'm pretty sure he is EnEn because I've bred him to two solid does and they threw together a total of 7 kits and none where a solid color.

I also bred him to two Jersey Woolies and then bred half brother to half sister and got a lovely BEW that looks like a Jersey Wooly. He seems to have normal poos - So hopefully he doesn't have the gene too.

I wonder if all hottots have it?

If he's never fathered solids then it sounds like he's a Charlie, bummer

Hotots are not Charlie's they are broken Dutch, usually black ones - aa B_ C_ D_ E_ Enen dudu VV

Dood":3f4pbhqn said:
If he's never fathered solids then it sounds like he's a Charlie, bummer

Hotots are not Charlie's they are broken Dutch, usually black ones - aa B_ C_ D_ E_ Enen dudu VV

Ok, now that is interesting! I thought they were Charlies....I love learning new things!

Latest posts

Back