Changing cages after kindling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esaudio

Reaction score
Hi Rabbit friends:

I am a total newbie here. I just had my first two litters of NZ whites. I have a buck, a Cali, and two NZ whites in 30x24x18 cages.This is their first breeding for the 3 of them. I was expecting about 5-6 bunnies for each doe, but one got 10 and the other one 12. I don't know if they will all make it, but if most do, I imagine that after 10 days or so, their cages will be too small.

Do you think it would be advisable for me to change them to a bigger cage or not? They are 3 and 4 days old right now. I was thinking of waiting for a few more days, but I am not sure if this is a good idea in the first place.

Thanks for your input.
Julio

With most rabbits, you should be able to swap cages with no problems.
I think, doing so now before the kits leave the nest would be easiest for you, and least stressful to the rabbits.

If a doe shows very high anxiety and you are worried she will harm the babies, you can always keep her nestbox out for 12 to 24 hours...basically until the next nursing time.

Oh thank you very much! That is totally new to me! I have read a lot but nothing like what you said. My main fear was the mother refusing to feed them if I changed their current spot, but it's great to know in most cases it can be done without much of a problem. Thank you! :)

esaudio":1jmi6ovy said:
Oh thank you very much! That is totally new to me! I have read a lot but nothing like what you said. My main fear was the mother refusing to feed them if I changed their current spot, but it's great to know in most cases it can be done without much of a problem. Thank you! :)

If I remove my nest boxes and wait for the does to be full of milk, they will generally feed any kits I put in front of them just to get relief. I've totally swapped nest boxes on them for various reasons. They never even hesitated to jump in another doe's box to feed. :lol:

I'm actually pretty sure rabbits nurse for relief more than any concern for their babies hunger.

Oh wow! Those are priceless gems for me! It's amazing to know! Thanks again for sharing your experience. :)

Back