Changes in colony plans

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASGSD

Reaction score
After doing some serious thinking and posting on HT and getting more input, I've decided to go with the old rabbitry shelter for my new colony!

Here is a picture:

colonybuilding-1.jpg

The structure is 35' long by 10' wide and over 8' tall (with a couple feet higher inside at the peak of the roof).

In the picture you can see some of the cage rows I used to have hanging in there. All of that will be cleaned out and the colony will go in there.

Here is my first design plan:

colonyplan-01.jpg

This allows me to have 2 separate colonies going at the same time. That way I can raise the large meat rabbits for my big dogs and smaller rabbits (probably mini-Rex) for my small dogs.

I might make the large meat rabbit side bigger since they would likely need more room than the minis.

The feeding area is fenced off but has a door attached that will be left open ... until I want to corral the kits buns for culling. That way I don't have to chase the rabbits all over the space!

On advice from HT I plan to stack hay bales in the middle (near the feeding station) for the does to burrow into and under. That should help keep them from digging out.

I plan to lay down fencing (or leftover rabbit cage wire) along the inside to keep them from digging out and anyone else from digging in. I will fence around the building with 2" x 4" welded wire fencing. Will most likely go with 6' high fencing to discourage rabbits from trying to jump out and might even put 4' high wire on top of that so the entire building is fenced in. I will make sure to fence off the top of the ends of the building so no birds can fly in (we have owls and hawks around here).

When you look at the top picture you are looking due north. I will cover the west end of the building with tarps to block the wind. The barn (behind the rabbitry building) protects it from the northern winds. I will also stack some hay bales around the outside of the south end of the building for more wind blockage. If it gets really bad I can always hang more tarps along that side to cut the wind.

During the summer I will be planting bushes (raspberries) along the south and west side of the building to provide shade and some nibbles for the rabbits. I'm also thinking about putting up long planters about half way up the south side of the building and putting in some type of vines. They can grow down and help with shade, make the building look a little better and provide more food for the rabbits.

So - any input, comments, suggestions??? :)

Sounds great!

You might want to check out the one-way bunny doorway on Turtlehead's blog. Leslie has a terrific outdoor colony that you will likely enjoy reading about, but my thought at the moment is that the bunny doorway might be useful to give access to the feeding areas, in addition to the larger doorway. Just a thought... but do take a look.

http://gardenplotter.com/rospo/blog/labels/rabbits.html

I would worry about digging, I had a rabbit tunnel into my crawl space when I had them in my dog yard next to the house, the other sides have a 12 inch or so roll of rocks in chicken wire, but that was for Chihuahua's.

From what I have seen the rabbits like to dig directly next to what they want under and tend to ramp down in to the warren (I got one of those too under one cage stack).

So if you have a barrier that is out and down, I think you would be good unless a warren tunnel drifted under.

Oh, Well I tied the roll into the bottom of the fence so there was no openings.
Wish I had know about the hay, cause usually the would tunnel under my dog house, and eventually under my crawl space.

MaggieJ":xzjdc8xy said:
They do like to have something to dig under. I have heard that the trick is to locate that "something" in the centre to encourage them to dig where they will do no harm.

That's what I was told, also. Guess I'll find out this spring!! :)

Latest posts

Back