Champagne D'Argent as meat rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi after looking high and low for a breeder of meat rabbits in my area i found one who raises Champagne D'Argent for meat which from the resreach i have done on the breed and from my understanding they are a good breed to raise for meat so my question is their any one here who raises them for meat and how do you like them over all also what is the pros and cons to this breed if any thanks

I raise their smaller cousins the Argente Bruns, but so far they're reaching market weight (5lbs) and 8-9 weeks and that's on controlled feed rations and hay. They're have finer bone then other common meat breeds so their meat to bone ratio is much better and their dress out rate is phenomenal they're are literally the meatiest rabbits I have ever processed. When crossed to slow maturing breeds the kits are much faster growing (not as fast as the purebreds mind you but better then the breed they were crossed with). They've also been exceptional mothers even the first time gals. And these are just from the smaller guys. I do have a Champagne doe I use to outcross Bruns too to open up the bloodline and she's the best rabbit I have ever had.

We will be able to breed our Champagne in the fall. We are excited about having rabbit this winter. It is my understanding I have not yet eaten Champagne but they are the dark meat of the rabbits. I am looking forward to there rich flavor.

Back