CARE Meet and Assorted Excitement

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
On Saturday, I went to a Central Alabama Rabbit Enthusiasts meet. :D It was awesome. I met some lovely people and their buns, got to spread information on rabbits, and my rabbits got some good socializing. I even got a free harness in red! In other news, there were Mini Lops (including a broken silver-tipped steel), English Angoras (one REW and one that appeared cream), a French Angora (blue), Lionheads (black), Himalayans (black and blue), English Lops (blue tort and REW), Mini Rex (all castor, with or without broken or Vienna), Giant Chinchillas (one REW sport), an American (blue), a Britannia Petite (REW), and a born-blind pet Lion Lop (harlequin). Got to feel my first angora fur and it was amazing. I officially need an angora eventually. Maybe a few. Just so I can knead their fur all day. :lol:

I learned more about my family's farm land and apparently part of it is worth about $250,000. :eek: The land itself is good crop land and it has had pines growing on it for generations now for pulping. There used to be an old log cabin but it's fallen into disrepair. It's over eighteen acres. I need to build myself a little log cabin over the old foundation and have a lovely microfarm there. Right? Right.

Today I went out to the feed store and for ten dollars and some cents I got myself 15# of wheat and 0.5# each of kale, Red Dixon beets, and Austrian winter peas. :D I'm going to get the winter garden up and running, food for the buns and the family. Hopefully this will last me all winter. Otherwise, the shop girls fell in love with Fawn and Cloud, as I promised to bring bunnies next time, and one of them might actually end up a family pet. Left my phone number, so everyone cross their fingers.

All in all? Great few days! Waiting for the other shoe to drop, of course, but maybe it won't. :p I can hope.

Oooh, who had the blue French Angora, and are they selling? My little Angora cross, Ginger, is growing on me; I'd love to get her a buck, and Central Alabama is reasonably close for the right animal/price. I live in Pensacola, FL.

Oh definitely, Sky and DogCatMom. :) They're having an auction this week--there's a book on rabbit genetics among the items and I MUST have it!--and they're setting up a 4-H club, Hare Care. :) I'm hopefully going to help teach genetics classes for both the club and the 4-H club, so that'll be awesome. I'm also hopefully going to see if we can get some hopping competitions up later this year or next year. Would be a great project for 4-H! Maybe we could get a few rabbits at a location wherein kids could "rent" a bunny, like a stable. :eek: You know, for showing, hopping, testing (for parents to see if they're responsible enough to get a rabbit), Easter photos, etc. I'm going to contact some of the people with some of my ideas. Going to get full membership ASAP. It seems like it will be amazing.

Um. -chews lip- Forgetting who had the French Angoras, but Alabama Rabbit Trader on Facebook is a great place to ask. We have quite a few angora breeders up here. I'll ask on CARE who brought the Frenchie, though. ;) I'm sure they'll have a few for sale sooner or later. It had great wool, btw.

That sounds like a fantastic meeting. I wish they had something like that around here, but the closest we get is the old men hanging out at the feed store, talking about their cattle.

EDIT: Ooooh, I have a twirly star!

Marinea":37yx20aj said:
That sounds like a fantastic meeting. I wish they had something like that around here, but the closest we get is the old men hanging out at the feed store, talking about their cattle.

EDIT: Ooooh, I have a twirly star!

Congrats on the star!

yeah, I just discovered some members of the Backyard Meat Rabbits FB group live about an hour to two hours away and we are discussing a get-together. It would be fun to meet folks of similar interests.

I have been thinking of starting a 4-H rabbit club for my county but I have so much already on my plate, I just don't need another thing to do!

Back