Can't use back legs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
A few hours ago, I noticed one of Bertha's babies was out on the grass but just sitting there. Not like it was resting but like something was wrong. I thought maybe he was cold so I put him in the hutch and left to do a Thirty One party.

I just went out and checked and found him in the hutch with his hind legs splayed out in front of him.

I brought him in and am warming him. But it seems like he can't use his back legs. He gets enough movement to wiggle but doesn't have full strength and use.

Any ideas??

one of mine injured his spine last winter. he could drag himself around. I kept trying to let him get better, but in time he got sores and bald patches from dragging his legs. plus he couldn't keep himself clean after pottying. he was a mess. I was attached by then, but we had to put him down.

Yah, I had to clean a lot of poo off him. Now he's making this strange sound that sounds like teeth grinding.

As I understand it, if they have no bladder or bowel control the chances are that they have a severe back injury - likely a broken back. I'd put him down, especially as he seems to be in pain, judging by the grinding of teeth.

If he seemed not to be in pain and could still control bladder/bowels, it might indicate a lesser injury... in which case a wait and see attitude could be adopted.

I think the poop was because he couldn't move to move it off himself. The teeth grinding isn't constant. Going to give him some electrolytes.

We have him in the house with a bottle of electrolytes and some feed. He's not moving but he has stopped grinding his teeth. We'll see how things are in the morning.<br /><br />__________ Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:06 am __________<br /><br />He died during the night

I have a feeling he was probably either kicked or run over by his mother. I've been waiting for Greg to build a grow out pen for the kits but tomorrow I'll be putting Bertha in a wire cage outside until he can make another pen.

I'm sad that the bunny was hurting and died.

Ollitos, it also could have been a case where the bun got his feet hung in the wire, then struggled violently to try and free itself. Saw it happen with a mini-satin the last morning of the NASS. The owner had to put it down because he broke his leg or spine in the process.

Sorry to hear about it.

Back