Can't Take Much More

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Went out to the shed today, and found 2 dead rabbits. One was a single maned BEW doe that I had up for sale - sucks that she died for absolutely no reason, as she was very sweet, very social, but not the end of the world, since she wasn't intended for my breeding program. Cause of death was not immediately apparent, but from how she was lying, I believe that she had a stressed induced heart attack. I did not do a necropsy on her, I probably should have, but I just didn't have the heart to do it.

The other loss? A blue tort doe with NO sable in her lines that I had bred to my BEW buck, and was ecstatically waiting for her first litter.

Cause of death? Vaginal prolapse. At least, as best as I can figure. The cage was basically coated with blood, she had a very large(golfball size, if not slightly larger) bloody red mass protruding from her vent. Her entire body seemed clenched, and it did not look like she died pleasantly. For obvious reasons, I did not do a necropsy on her. I didn't even think to take pictures.

This comes on the heels of losing 8 out of 14 kits born to 3 does here. It comes on the heels of the realization that my herd is a long way from competitive, and that I have a lot of work moving forward. It comes on the heels of finding out that one of my better does carries sable, and on the heels of selling three does for carrying sable.

My herd is down to 4 breeding does.

I'm just so tired.

Sorry for loses. Seems like alot of bad news today on here! Hope tomorrow is better :anti-sad:

Bad Habit, I am so sorry. :cry: My heart really goes out to you. Last night, I started my own "can't take much more" thread but gave up and went to bed. I'm there, too. But, I've never been able to express my rabbit issues w/o worrying that another breeder will be offended. That's just another issue.

The fact that you recognize everything for what it's worth makes you a great breeder. :) I hope you manage to pull through and come out for the better.

Losses like that are hard to take for anyone, and following so many disappointments, Bad Habit, it is hardly surprising that you are feeling down.

Take some deep breaths and hang in there. This is not a good time to be making heavy decisions. Can you just "tread water" for a month or two?

Feel free to vent as much as you need to. It's feeling alone with one's problems that makes them seem even worse. Please remember that your RT family cares about you and that we are wishing you much better fortune for the future. :good-luck:

I'm sorry, there seem to be rough patches for everyone but it doesn't make it easier!
In July, out of 5 expected litters we lost a doe with 11 kits on her due date (bloat), and two other litters ending up with only 3 live kits out of it all. It was terrible.
And then this month my two SR does (start of my Sr program) -- one list 7 on the wire and the other had her second miss... And now I need to wait until the new year to even breed them again (severe cold).
And the guy buying all 30 of my meat kits flaked on me and I can't get in at the processor until Decwmber. so I have to do them (first time!).

Not to compare stories LOL-- just to say I know the feels :)
But at least with rabbits they don't take forever to try again!
Hang in there!

TF3":2j3x8874 said:
I'm sorry, there seem to be rough patches for everyone but it doesn't make it easier!
In July, out of 5 expected litters we lost a doe with 11 kits on her due date (bloat), and two other litters ending up with only 3 live kits out of it all. It was terrible.
And then this month my two SR does (start of my Sr program) -- one list 7 on the wire and the other had her second miss... And now I need to wait until the new year to even breed them again (severe cold).
And the guy buying all 30 of my meat kits flaked on me and I can't get in at the processor until Decwmber. so I have to do them (first time!).

Not to compare stories LOL-- just to say I know the feels :)
But at least with rabbits they don't take forever to try again!
Hang in there!

That sounds horrible :eek: :(
We all experience rough times, I guess. Especially when the animals are precious to us the blow seems to be a little harder. But if we all hang on together, sometimes it makes the hard times a little easier.

Sounds oddly familiar, even though I process/sell feeders I still hate that when I look back at spring every single MR or Lionhead litter I had was pet quality with 1 keeper (that promptly escaped while being groomed and never recovered) and 1 or 2 broods (but they weren't good enough to replace any one). The pairs were matched well, just dice didn't roll right. Over 40 kits went to feeders/processing, 1 the feeder buyer kept as she liked the color and how sweet he was. Eventually it will work out, just have to be able to work with the good/bad...its never easy, never gets easier. Hang in there!

No, I know not to decide anything at the moment... And besides, I just bought 3 bags of food, so the rabbits are here for at least 6 more weeks, longer if the ones for sale ever start selling.

It's really emotionally draining, is all. So many disappointments coming at once. It's hard to remember that there is a silver lining, that it's not always going to be this disappointing and hard. I didn't realize how easy I had it when I started, how few issues I was really having. I miss those days, when the rabbits were simple and something I could simply enjoy.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm having problems myself but nothing so tragic, my buns are just refusing to breed but lack of new births is a lot easier to take than actual deaths of existing rabbits. I know that in time things will turn and I'll once again be overwhelmed with rabbits and I'm sure you know that too but for now just try to hang tough, that's about all we can do sometimes.

Bad Habit":d8j44xio said:
No, I know not to decide anything at the moment... And besides, I just bought 3 bags of food, so the rabbits are here for at least 6 more weeks, longer if the ones for sale ever start selling.

It's really emotionally draining, is all. So many disappointments coming at once. It's hard to remember that there is a silver lining, that it's not always going to be this disappointing and hard. I didn't realize how easy I had it when I started, how few issues I was really having. I miss those days, when the rabbits were simple and something I could simply enjoy.

Just curious - what has changed from then to now? Are you working with a different breed? Focusing on one thing more than another? Or just a string of bad luck?

I know I have had a fairly smooth time so far - a few glitches here and there, but nothing overly devastating (although, the pasteurella brought in from another breeder was enough to make me pause and take a step back). Not sure how I would feel or react with a major blow...

I'm so sorry, BH! :cry:

Ours was like that... started off all hunky-dory, no problems. Then all sorts of stuff started happening.

I hope everything smooths out for you soon!

Latest posts

Back