Can't help but think there's something wrong with this...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People have been going back and forth on food issues. I don't see a problem with mostly hay and fresh greens being the majority of a rabbit's diet, that would be what a lot of natural people are feeding, little or no pellets.
My only problem are the veggies they have pictured, since rabbits are herbivores, not vegetarians, there should not be and broccoli, cauliflower, should be an emphasis on the leafy part, not the veggie part.

I guess that's what I meant. I love the natural feeding concept, and plan to transition to it one day. What I don't agree with are the veggies pictured. There is also no mention of grains or salt/mineral. Seems like it may have come from HRS? Not sure. Not informative enough though, just to do a pyramid. One person on FB is wanting to switch to this method, and seems to be relying solely on this chart.

The veggie part is kind of wrong. But if they are feeding good hay, it can work.

If you are giving a minimum of pellets, you don't need the salt/grains.

I've found a lot of people against completely grain based diets, because as herbivores, they eat mainly the leaves and stems, not the grains, consuming small amounts of grains that fall through the ground. However, members have had great success feeding grains.

Even the pellets by themselves has some merits and detriments. I feed 80% pellets and very little hay, because I can't really get it, and there is no real forage around here. Some say I must have hay. I disagree.

Each person has to figure out what they can do, and what works for them. What's wrong/right for me could work for them.

They keep saying 'talk to your vet' but a vet is going to say 16% protein (18% for growing kits) and your not going to get that by following this pyramid.

I forsee a lot of stunted baby rabbits with diarrhea coming out of San Diego

But hey, if the rabbit dies young, maybe they can adopt them out more frequently :)

And what about the "little or no Alfalfa" part? Yeah....great advice there, San Diego HRS... NOT!

I know they include some pellets on the pyramid, and that they contain salt/mineral. I guess what I meant is that just by following and depending on a pyramid is not very wise. Because it doesn't educate you on nutritional requirements. The person who posted this ad said, "I think I am really going to try to feed off pellets and concentrate on hay. I get good hay for my goats and pigs and it would be great if I could feed them the same stuff on a normal basis rather than as a treat while being dependent on pellets. Found this rabbit food pyramid interesting..."
So this person wants to switch to the pyramid thing, but not include the pellets...hmmm..
Anyway I know they can be fed some pellets and greens and unlimited hay, but it's the type of veggies I was questioning here. And the general lack of info. Not to mention, not all rabbits can thrive on such a diet, especially for good grow out weights. Every rabbit is different and that needs to be taken into consideration. There can be some standard "guidelines", but not a "one size fits all". JMO<br /><br />__________ Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:18 am __________<br /><br />
OneAcreFarm":3hxvb6n3 said:
And what about the "little or no Alfalfa" part? Yeah....great advice there, San Diego HRS... NOT!
Right! I forgot about that part. LOL

If it is a house rabbit and not breeding/growing/nursing then mostly hay and some pellets is fine, the picture shows broccoli and whatnot but the text says fresh greens.

Caught that one too, wonder which one they really mean.

And the Alfalfa, if you are going to have greens, I think you'd better have the Alfalfa.

I would definitely not get good growout rates on anything but pellets, but I didn't mention that because I did see the House Rabbit Society thing on the bottom, and assumed this was aimed at pet people, who don't need to really worry about growing up kits at 18% or even 16% (TSC, Kambalach and Buckeye pellets are 15%), and I don't think forage and grains are 18% either.

"No seeds"? Then I guess we're all wrong for recommending BOSS to help with a variety of issues. And I've used mixed bird seed as a feed for a day or two, until I could get more pellets, if I was out of oats.

Small amounts of cookies (especially oatmeal-raisin) can make great treats. Some cereals, same thing. Yogurt drops and bread, same thing. Except that the SDHRS calls them "DEFINITE NO-NOs". :roll:

skysthelimit":1g9thawh said:
Some say I must have hay. I disagree.
If feeding pellets, you don't have to feed hay. The pellets contain a lot of fiber.

Most feed hay anyway, to help ensure good gut motility and to provide something for the rabbits to do. But it isn't essential on a quality pellet diet.

OneAcreFarm":1g9thawh said:
Yeah. :roll:

Jessykah":1g9thawh said:
it's the type of veggies I was questioning here. And the general lack of info.
You're right, a number of the veggies shown could be problematic if not fed carefully.

dangerbunny":1g9thawh said:
the picture shows broccoli and whatnot but the text says fresh greens.
Unfortunately, a lot of people will look at the pictures and think, "Oh, look! My bunnies can have all the broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage they want!" Cue very ill bunny.

It doesn't say anything about these vegetables and others having to be introduced very slowly, and increased slowly. Yes, rabbits can get to the point where they can eat plenty of cabbage, but it has to be done right.

dangerbunny":3a3cck66 said:
If it is a house rabbit and not breeding/growing/nursing then mostly hay and some pellets is fine, the picture shows broccoli and whatnot but the text says fresh greens.

Exactly. The House Rabbit Society (and this poster is from the San Diego chapter) is focusing only on the dietary needs of spayed/neutered adult rabbits in people's homes. The nutritional needs of nursing does, young kits, growing juveniles, and other "special case" rabbits very common to rabbit raisers aren't represented--and aren't meant to be represented--on this poster. You know: "If we ignore it, it'll go away..." or something like that?

I plan to take Mr. Chinchilla (he's closing in on his Naming Deadline) off of pellets if at all possible around mid-October, retaining them only as a training treat. The first opportunity I have to get to a real farm feed store is October 13th, in Petaluma. I'll look for the mineral supplement there. Then I'll start sprouting grains for him (and me--I love sprouts). Sprouting grains increases their nutritional value immensely.

I do feel sorry for the bunnies fed all that broccoli and cauliflower, though. :( Mr. C's favorite food so far is--fresh flat-leaf ("Italian") parsley! I have some growing in pots and some escaped parsley in the ground. I use it as a bribe/training reward. :wink: He hasn't tired of it yet. Chicory stems are another favorite, but they're just not as highly prized as fresh flat-leaf parsley.

For me it's pellets, any hay I get and boss. I feed some other items on a occasional basis. Anyone getting grains from Tractor Supply? If so so you have a name or better yet item number or link?

DogCatMom, Italian parsley is a hit here as well. Curly is another herd favorite.

It should be pellets, hay, grain (Oats, Barley,..) then veggies and fruit. I'll semi agree with limiting alfalfa, that CAN be over done and there is already quite a bit in most pellets. However it says not to feed bread or "yogurt treats"... I know bread can be used to get a doe back on feed after kindling and yogurt is good for getting digestive tracts on track so I don't see a "Yoggie" here and there killing your rabbit.

what I have learned by frequenting pet bunny boards is this....

Is your rabbit healthy?
If so... then continue what you are doing.

BUT healthy is this
1. no gas stasis repeated
2. good feel to the body
3. good temperament...not overly quiet or overly busy.
4. not fat, not thin...just right.
5. no health issues...no runny poop, cecals eaten, and such like (focusing on digestive and oral health)

IF something is amiss... particularly in the gut stasis department. It means that SOMETHING is wrong with your feeding regime.

If people are willing to hear that.. then seriously I Have no issues with what people feed their rabbits... some people give greens only and no water...their rabbits thrive. Some people do pellets only...their rabbits thrive. So between the two extremes there must be something else going on. Are the rabbits thriving? If so... it's all good.

skysthelimit":34npy00g said:
My only problem are the veggies they have pictured, since rabbits are herbivores, not vegetarians, there should not be and broccoli, cauliflower, should be an emphasis on the leafy part, not the veggie part.

What about the fibrous stems of the broccoli plant ?? Are they safe ??

Ramjet":1l35engh said:
skysthelimit":1l35engh said:

What about the fibrous stems of the broccoli plant ?? Are they safe ??

Ramjet, stems and trimmings from broccoli etc. are safe if the rabbits are accustomed to fresh foods and if they only receive small quantities. If you have several rabbbits and divide among them the stems from the broccoli cooked for the family dinner, there should be no problem. If you are harvesting and freezing/canning large quantities, you might be tempted to give them more than they can easily handle. All the brassicas can be "gassy".

Latest posts

Back