Can't get a virgin 8-9 month old doe to breed!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
So, I have a virgin, 8-9 month old Purebred Holland Lop doe that I CANNOT get bred.
when I put her in the buck's cage, she starts doing that squeal/grunt that does normally do if you have bred them and put them back with the buck a couple days later to check.

I am putting ACV in her water. Tried two different bucks. Tried holding her for the buck. But she won't breed!

Should I cull her? Or what should I do to get her bred?

She may be overweight...?? What's the lighting schedule like?
Holding a smaller breed that long without breeding allows them
to add internal fat that may hinder her conceiving. I've not dealt
at all with smaller breeds, but rabbits IS rabbits. Try placing her
alongside the buck in a separate cage.

Hopefully you get other replies from members who have "Hands-On"
experience with the lops and they'll be more helpful.

Grumpy.

She is 4.5lbs, a little big for a Holland Lop doe. Another reason I thought of culling her.
She also has a dewlap. Something I don't like on does that young.
Lighting is shady, a shed with a door and a window, but airy. Light is fairly good in it, but not like full sun.

Both. First she runs, then when he does mount her, she sits there complaining loudly.

Ok I'm an idiot. Been trying to get my stubborn does breed and I'm almost to the point of making them stew. :twisted:

They're proper weight, buck's weight good. Thought one was breed but she was suppose to pop on the 8th, still no babies. Her naughty bits are red, not deep red, but red-ish. So now I'm thinking she's not prego. :evil:

Switched cages tonight with hopes that I might get someone in the motherly way tomorrow.

What am I doing wrong? :shrug:

My experience (although limited) is that while it can be frustrating, be patient. There are lots of things to try, and combos of things. Shes a young first timer so she may just not understand things yet. One thing that both my Hollands enjoy is the apple cider vinegar, but also allowing them to breed outside. They prefer being out of both cages, in a contained area of the yard, and love to chase each other around to "get in the mood".....My guess is that she just doesn't understand what you want her to do yet, and its entirely possible she will pick it up and be a good mom. I bred my Holland doe for the first time @ 16 months. I have heard that's too old and not idea, and worried a lot based on the all the info I read. It took her a few tries with our buck, a false pregnancy, then we finally seemed to hit the perfect scenario. She was pregnant with 7 kits and 5 survived, and it was an amazing first experience FINALLY! Are you checking her vent before putting them together? That's something else that can help. It should be a darker pink color on a prime day. I have heard people suggest everything from increased light to car rides, and you never know what will work. Another tip was to switch cages for the night, and something about living in each others space will make them ready to get close in the morning. Hang in there!

Thanks macksmom98, I've tried it all, well except an open pen on the ground. The old farmer before us had rabbits and I don't know what is in our soil. :x So they don't get yard time ever. Safe before sorry. Did get Cumin, buck, to fall over 3x on Tartar today. She's the one I thought was prego before. If it didn't take this time then I know that the heat got to Cumin. And will have to wait for cooler weather. It's been in the low 80's for the past month and he is young, so I've got my fingers crossed. As for Coconut, 2nd doe, well, she's refusing to lift ever. Her naughty bits even looked almost purple and still no lift. Been trying for 2months. Even took her to Grumpy's and flat refusal. And they were some mighty fine studs. At least Tartar isn't actively blocking Cumin at every turn. Trying to top him (which I don't ever allow), but not block him. Coconut seems to have placed Cumin in the friend zone and we all know there's no getting out of there. Oh well if push comes to shove I'll invite her to dinner :twisted: and buy a new doe.

Holland lops should be bred by 5 months of age.

If I can't get them bred by then i run them in a large 4 x 4 cage for three weeks. THEN if they aren't bred I cull them.

Dewlaps are normal on holland lops and shouldn't be a reason to cull them.

A 4.5 lb doe is not unreasonable. Breed 'em to something smaller and your kits should be just right.

Holland lops can be a bit finicky to get started, but once you do. Keep them in production...every 6 weeks get them bred until it's time to move them on. Works best that way.

Ladysown-I just posted a new topic but do you have any advice for getting them going? I have experience getting an older one to breed, but not a 4.5 month old. She just runs all over, and doesn't even act hormonal or anything yet. I read that you said they should be bred young, which I would like to do, it just feels like shes not ready. Unless its just because she has no idea what to do, because she has never done it before. I feel my buck might be sterile but id like to try anyway. She still is much smaller than him, but was the biggest in the litter from the beginning. I am not sure if she did sit still and lifted if they would even be able to make it happen with the size difference, lol.......sorry if this is all redundant, I am just searching for some answers.....and not sure whats normal for her age

I currently have a young doe who is just a nervous nellie but showing all the signs of being ready to breed... but being with a buck freaks her out.

I have a number of things I do with excitable does.
1. put my hand on their head to just settle them
2. put my hand on their back and just HOLD them. I don't hold them for the buck to mount but just to help them chill out. Different does respond to different settlings.
3. toss in a big whack of hay to give her something to do other than think BUCK BUCK RUN!!!!

NONE of these things worked with this doe.

SO I did the following:

1. put her in the bucks cage, the buck in hers... and switched them back and forth for a few days. (still freaked)
2. put her next to "Mr. sprayee" buck. (still freaked)

These two things usually get them to relax.

3. Had her see a buck breeding.

This usually is just the icing.

4. STILL really scared acting with the buck so ... on Tuesday I tossed her and a buck into my big cage. She ran laps until she was good and tired and then realized he wasn't going to attack her. It's now Saturday and she's still nervous (part of her temperament) but she's not scared and she's letting him sit next to her and just is being a settled girl. She'll stay with him another couple of days or until she starts to act like she's bred. IF she acts like mom and auntie... she'll start acting bred by Monday/Tuesday next week.

It's a matter of knowing your does right? If you know what their parents act like, and what they like to have YOU do to them (for instance many of my does like a simple head stroke on their forehead or a rub down the back). The odd one wants an ear rub, and one won't let me touch her (guess who that one is). :)

Thanks so much for all these tips! I am new to Hollands, have had them a little less than a yr and only 1 litter by my 18 month old doe, where we saved one of her girls back to breed with our buck (her dad)....so I know them well and her background:). I'll keep my eyes open for readiness signs and try some of these things!

I hate breeding dwarves lol..

I just stick them in a large cage (I have a 4x3 ish) and let them live together for a week or 2. They're very mellow & sweet animals that get along very well.

If they're aggressive.. Well haven't had that yet, but certainly wouldn't like it.

Just stick her with the buck in a large space, with stuff to do. Ensure she doesn't kill him and your good.

Some of my Hollands are not ready to breed at 5 months, different lines take time to mature. I've had a time getting some older does back into production and have determined some breeds are just trickier to breed, tempting to smack people when they ask "don't they breed like rabbits" So my Hollands are much more sensitive to environmental factors than other breeds I've had. Those factors include time of year, temperature, nutrition, and breeding soundness (ie body condition) I've also had does that are very happy to mate with one buck but freak out with another. Since I don't have an air conditioned barn I plan most of my breedings in the spring/fall when they are more in the "mood", no bunny feels like making babies in the 90 degree weather.

Other good tricks are taking them on an outing, stress will induce a female to be receptive, switching cages, trying different bucks and table breeding. Eventually she will either be bred or a cull, a good doe takes up the same space as one that is a pain to get bred so I have a time limit on how many times I will try to get her bred, but I do cut them slack in the summer. Make sure you have no signs of vent disease, that negatively impacts fertility.

Latest posts

Back