Can't figure out color on kits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
My daughter bred her NZ doe to a broken blue satin buck. The back color on the bucks side is Broken blacks, broken blues, blues, white, and broken otter-Black. The doe is a white NZ. Any ideas on this color. In the shade I thought it was a brown. When I took it into the light for a better look it has a silvery look to it. It is a brown with silver sheen. very interesting. In the litter there was 5 kits. 1 whites, 2 broken not sure of color yet. and these two kits. downsized_1020121239.jpg

Attachments

• downsized_1020121240.jpg
    downsized_1020121240.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 717
Looks like you got two solids. Blue the color.

Guess by a newbie. Got all solids from my Shaded/Broken LH's. Will love to see these kits when they get older. Pretty kits.

Look forward to reading some of the other replies from those who are better at genetics.

Karen

Our pure satins babies have broken blue and broken black. The blue is quite different from this so I was wondering. when they were born I thought blue but now I don't know.

Could it be lilac? But lilac is a dilute of chocolate. And blue is a dilute of black.

Could be steel because of the white doe. Don't know but will be fascinating watching what color they mature into.

Karen

I'm finding out that definitely need to wait before you are absolutely sure of the coloring of some kits. My Chocolates are now starting to turn to a "gun metal" coloring. Also seeing a pattern start to form. I guess some keep you guessing until they hit maturity. But it is fun to watch the changes.

Look forward to seeing how your bunnies mature.

Karen

It is fun watching the colors and looking forward to see what they end up like. It is hard to be patient though. These kits will be food so I might never know for sure.

It almost looks like my not-quite-opals. They have that pinkish cast to them, and have a brownish triangle at the back of the neck.

tm_bunnyloft":2vwushrv said:
The bottom looks lilac but could the top be blue?

Would that make it a blue-lilac tort? :? Is that even possible?

I will have to post pictures when they are three months. By then should we be able to figure it out? They are a cute litter though. Now just hope daughter does not fall in love with them all. WE ARE NOT KEEPING THEM!!! They are so cute though.

with 4 nestboxes of kits and more coming I have to be choosy. I am choosing to keep the satin kits and some Creme D'Argents in the future so no room for mixes. to bad though I like their color.

Back