Can't afford these!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowell

Reaction score
I have a litter of 9 NZ whites....they are just like there mother.

She at times will dig out her pellets from her feeder....now the babies are doing the same...BIG TIME!!

She has been a good mother but I am ready to get rid of her because of this and she seems to pass it on.

Rambling over!!

Lift the feeder up so it's at the kit's top of their heads (so they can still reach it but have to get up on their hind legs to do so). When your doe is on her own lift it up so she has to reach for it as well this will stop the digging in 90% of cases.

I had a doe teach all her babies to trun their head almost upside down and jerk on the water bottle lol when one rabbit do it...fine...but a whole litter? Ugh! Digging a bad habit that I only had one case of...and one case is all you need

They learn from their mother, so if she's a feed digger they will mostly do it as well. Some breeds are worse than others, Himalayans and Thriantas often are feed diggers, but any breed can have its problem rabbits.

I have these feeders. http://www.bassequipment.com/Feeders/Feeding+Equipment/default.aspx The PRO-B FEEDSAVER feeder down at the bottom.

They can still dig out of them, but I can easily run a wire across the bottom, about an inch up from the bottom of the opening, and they can't dig anymore. Every once in a while I get a litter that will figure out a way to dig no matter what I do, so I close the opening from the top with a patch of 1"x1" cage wire, and j-clips. I leave the opening just wide enough for their little heads to reach in, and only their heads. They don't have enough room to get their legs up inside along with their heads that way.

If you don't have this type of feeder, like someone else said, hanging the feeder higher up so they really have to reach works too.

I use bread pans from the Dollar Tree and wire it to the cage under the feeder. I don't lose nearly as much feed from babies dropping their pellets now. Sometimes they potty in it, but I'd rather clean it than lose so much feed.

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 176
A doe that digs and flips feed doesn't last long in my barn.

If she does it with the youngsters out and eating. She'll either go to
another pen or in the freezer.

At 27.3 cents per pound, it doesn't take long until you've got a
couple of bucks worth of feed on the ground.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

I'll try some but I'm leaning with grumpy....hate to see the waste and have other rabbits that seem to be such "easy keepers"!!

babies will often dig feed once they are starting to get going on feed. lasts about a week.

In my herd, does that dig in the feeder often want to be bred OR are approaching kindling time.

Does the dig any other time I either send on to new homes or send to dog food.

Latest posts

Back