Canning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard about the not "canning in a cooker" rule, but there are cooker/canner models. It seems like usually those are the ones with just a weighted gauge on it. My pressure canner is WAY too big for me to cook in--it's 23 qt. It was super reasonable at $86 on Amazon (Presto 01781 23 qt). Maybe you can ask for one for Christmas, Katie! :D But seriously, an 8qt canner would make for lots and lots of canning sessions, though hey---it CAN be done! :)

I have a smaller Duo cooker and a large Presto canner/cooker (it may be that 23 qt. monster... it sure is big!) :D

Currently making large quantities of bone broth in the big canner.

My big canner was a Christmas gift. :mrgreen:

Pressure cookers vs pressure canners, They are all basically the same thing, "most" [but not all] of the newer pressure canners have a gauge on top as well as a weight, [just so you can watch , and monitor it] ,- The newer pressure canners have a heavier wall and bottom thickness [this is a good thing] as it distributes the heat better, and cools a little more slowly, - BUT - the older canners / cookers, worked/ work just fine without gauges, or heavy wall thickness. All of this modern hype over not using the pressure cooker to can [bottle] in is "just barely" founded on any logic or scientific principals. We all used them for years with no problems, [some of us still use the older models] my "All American 921 1/2" is at least 45 years old. and has a gauge, but no weight, it has a screw type pressure adjuster, and is thin-walled] - it works perfectly every time. [I agree that my newer All American 921 is much better than the old 921 1/2," and a lot more costly"] - I also have an old "Presto" that just has a weight and no gauge it still works great]- but I don't like gaskets.-
It is the weight that creates and maintains the correct pressure [not the gauge] - in older pressure cookers / or canners it is good to use a little more water in them [about 1/2 way up the jar] so it will heat and cool more uniformly [and slowly]. and always have a spacer, [or a couple of dish cloths] between the bottom of the jar, and the canner/ cooker.--
and just so I don't appear quite so closed minded, and set in my prehistoric ways, - I agree that a gauge is a good improvement, especially when cooking /processing things [like beans] that could possibly block the vent hole [under the weight] and cause over pressurization , with out a pressure gauge it could go unnoticed. resulting in an accident [or big mess]
[Just the opinion of an old-timer]

__________ Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:02 am __________

Zass":34btpqcq said:
I personally prefer to can only older, tougher animals, since fryers sometimes fall apart into shreds for me.
(the same goes for chickens)
I usually debone and sear my meat since that was on the instructions that came with the canner.
It may not be necessary. (I don't know for sure, but make sure to research anything to do with canning and food prep, since there will always be someone who says just about anything is fine, since their mother, grandmother or aunt always did it and never died.)

My extended family likes to act like I'm being a snob, because I INSIST on pressure canning my green beans and other low acid foods. They swear that it just needs to cook longer, and do not listen when I explain that boiling water never actually hits the temperatures required to to kill all botulism, and that by putting it under pressure, we are able to achieve those temps....

AH here are raw pack instructions! :D
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/chicken_rabbit.html

We used to process everything with a water bath type canning method also, - but- if only for the time savings, - the pressure canning method was a vast improvement.
And, - especially at my "high elevation" [about 6000 feet] water bath canning of low acid vegetables and meat is very risky [even if you boil it for hours] and care must always be taken to assure that you are not feeding the kids botulism . [if you have a choice, - why take such a chance unnecessarily ]
We almost never have a "bad" bottle of food using a pressure canning process. I would totally disagree with your "extended family"
{for those survivalists out there,[or the terminally curious] - it is "possible" to bottle meat, and low acid food at high elevation without a pressure canner,[ in a water bath canner], - by using oil as a cooking medium instead of water, as oil will heat to a much higher temperature than water, - but- this is such an unnecessary mess!! .]

Did the first round of canned boiled peanuts. Boy do I miss the convenience of store shopping. Back south you can get them everywhere. Not so much here in Missouri. :( So I did 6lbs yesterday and doing another 6lbs today.
008 (500x375).jpg
010 (500x375).jpg
Cooked for 6 hours in the roaster and 45min at 10lbs of pressure in the pressure canner.

Me and my mom did pickled beets last weekend. We ended up with 13 jars!!! I love pickled beets.

wamplercathy":1z0ks396 said:
Did the first round of canned boiled peanuts. Boy do I miss the convenience of store shopping. Back south you can get them everywhere. Not so much here in Missouri. :( So I did 6lbs yesterday and doing another 6lbs today.
View attachment 1

Cooked for 6 hours in the roaster and 45min at 10lbs of pressure in the pressure canner.

I do miss boiled peanuts, ... I am happy for you,

I have started reorganizing the pantry to better showcase my home canned goodies! :p

This is what I have so far, not including what we have eaten already and gifted to friends:

IMG_9600.JPG

Top shelf has rabbit meat, canned zukes, and sweet relish. Middle shelf has all of our jam. The jar with the label was a gift, as was the jar below it which is carrot jam. Bottom shelf has Dill pickles on the left half and Bread and Butter pickles on the left.

Thank you! I am pretty proud of myself, if I must say so. :D

I just started canning a couple of years ago, so this is quite an accomplishment for me. :p

I wish I had the space. But our kitchen/whole house is tiny. :lol: :lol:
But am rethinking our pantry. It's deep but not very wide. :lol:

Here's what I've got so far! More apples, and tomatoes to come!

11261199_1460710504237842_7423566990841106083_n.jpg

Wow, Becca! :clap2: You have quite a bit as well!

Those are beautiful pumpkins. :) Are you planning on canning any of them?

Other than breathe all I did this summer was can, haha. There's 3 rows behind the ones in the front. In a cool space the pumpkins have a shelf life of 3-6 months as is. With the holidays coming they'll be used before 6 months is up. I love baking mine right in the pumpkin then gathering the meat for pies, and breads. *drools* I collect all the seeds as well, and hold some back for next season, and use some to bake, and eat. Plus my chickens love the pumpkin skins after I've cooked them.

I finished canning tomatoes (130 quarts) just before late blight hit and Joanna pulled all the plants. Still drying a few Juliets that were brought in to finish ripening. Have 32 qts green beans and 30 of applesauce. Everything else goes in the freezer--peas, peppers, pesto, berries, sliced apples for pies--or the root cellar. Only thing left to go into jars this year is the lard I'll render when our pig is butchered next week. My pantry doesn't look as pretty as yours--all my jars are in boxes--and I don't have anything fancy, just basics that I'll make into different things in the winter when there's more time and the garden is deep under snow. :)

Rainey":xbb63eon said:
I finished canning tomatoes (130 quarts) just before late blight hit and Joanna pulled all the plants. Still drying a few Juliets that were brought in to finish ripening. Have 32 qts green beans and 30 of applesauce. Everything else goes in the freezer--peas, peppers, pesto, berries, sliced apples for pies--or the root cellar. Only thing left to go into jars this year is the lard I'll render when our pig is butchered next week. My pantry doesn't look as pretty as yours--all my jars are in boxes--and I don't have anything fancy, just basics that I'll make into different things in the winter when there's more time and the garden is deep under snow. :)

130 quarts of tomatoes? Wow!

michaels4gardens":2yjxro0y said:
this is one of the isles in what we [not so lovingly ]refer to as "the dungeon".
Hey, what are you doing in our basement taking pictures? :lol:

From this years canning escapades we did pretty good, all grown at home except the sweetcorn.

40 quarts of stewed tomatoes, 18 quarts of tomato juice, 14 quarts of ready to go spaghetti sauce. 40 pints of pickled red beets, 115 pints of green beans, 45 quarts of garlic dill pickles, 26 pints of Cowboy Candy (google that one). After roasting, cleaning and packaging 4 bushels of peppers for freezing along with creamed sweetcorn and frozen okra I think we got it. Must have, the extra freezer is packed full. :D

Latest posts

Back