canning rabbit video

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the meat was cooked when she was done? It was hard to tell, it still looked raw to me....I have never canned meat before.

I have been wanting to can some rabbit. I'm glad to know you put the meat in there raw; I thought you had to cook it first, and then can it, and I figured that had to result in overcooked meat.

In fact, aren't you supposed to start with hot contents and jars? She's obviously been doing this for a while, and I guess she's never had a problem.

I think the meat looking raw at the end was just because it was night at that point, and you were seeing washed-out colors by artificial light. It's hard for me to imagine that it would still be raw after 45 minutes of steam under pressure.

I raw pack canned salmon--you are right, the stuff is cooked to death by the time you take it out of the canner. You have it 45 min under pressure plus however long it takes to bring it up to pressure from a cold start. The reason you generally start with hot jars is to shave off processing time, you can't put a cold jar in already boiling water without some breakage, so you preheat everything first. The pressure canning kills everything though, so even if the contents of the jars started out contaminated they aren't at the end, that is the whole point.

I canned rabbit this week for the first time. I think the video said she pressured the raw rabbit for 45 minutes, but all my books said 75 minutes so that's what I did. You can cook the rabbit partially (hot pack) or cold pack it. In both cases, my books said the jars should be hot.

Back