canning bananas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a box of bananas from the food bank person in my area, -- I decided to can them-- I cut them in slices about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, made a syrup -
1 qt water
2 cups sugar
2 tbls lemon juice
1 tbls white vinegar

filled the jars, shook them down to 3/4 inch head space, filled the jars to 1/2 inch with syrup
pressure canned at 10 lbls for 15 min, let it cool down naturally [no cold water]
--it tastes very good--
any comments??

a taste test in our family was 100% positive, with the possible exception of the "reminds me of baby food" comment. -- Some "sources" on the net say you can't can bananas-- I will bet they are wrong.
but-- should they fail in time-- it will make great wine.

Here is a good post***see edit below***, with sources, on canning bananas safely. I haven't tried it personally, but it's a page that I have bookmarked in my preserving tab. They definitely recommend pressure canning, not water bath, due to the low acidity of bananas, which is obviously what you did. It's always a wonderful thing when we can obtain a food at a great price in bulk and preserve it to eat at our leisure!

I don't know if you've made fruit leather, but I love to mix a mashed banana or two in a batch with another fruit - I've done it with raspberry, cherry and blueberry fruit leathers, and they add a nice subtle flavor and I think improve the texture as well!

edited to add*****
I had that page bookmarked - but I just followed the links they provided, and neither link actually had any recommendations at all on canning bananas, so I think the writer extrapolated recipes from other types of fruit. I would have researched this thoroughly before trying - so I apologize for recommending the page. I will (for myself) definitely do a lot more research and find a tested recipe before ever attempting to can bananas. I would probably freeze, dry or make fruit leather with it before I would can bananas without seeing a properly documented tested recipe. I do know that there are many people who do things that aren't tested first and are just fine (think canning cakes! yum), but I like to fall into the better safe than sorry camp.

If anyone knows of a link to such a tested recipe, I would surely love to see it!

Ripe Bananas are low acid but have sugar, by adding the acid and the sugar, it should be fine for low altitude water bath, -- but-- I am not low elevation, and -I play it safe when dealing with my family's saftey also.

__________ Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:25 pm __________

I smashed up all the over-ripe ones and mixed in- 2 tbls sugar and 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp white vinegar / qt
the first batch boiled over-- so-- I filled the jars an inch from the top and it worked fine.

I've made banana jam before; it held marvelously. It's best when made from bananas that are just a bit over-ripe for making banana bread. If there's interest, I'll dig up my recipe. The jam is a nice deep rose color; watching it cook is always fun because you can see it change from banana-colored to rose or pink in the pan! :)

the Wife, Tia my daughter and I ,had fun, playing with bananas this am, -- the jar second from the left is an old, square, "presto" <br /><br /> __________ Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:37 pm __________ <br /><br /> we also went to the dollar store, they had qt jars for $9 / doz.-- yea!!

Attachments

• canned bananas 002.JPG
    canned bananas 002.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 2,045
  • canning jars.jpg
    canning jars.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 2,044
I would also be interested in different banana canning recipes as well. I unfortunately have never canned. But my sister is going to be buying canning supplies and her neighbor is going to to teach us how to can this year.

Latest posts

Back