Can you tell me what you can see by looking at my rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
This is Ginger. The woman I purchased her from said she was a satin mix. She used to only breed NZ and CA.

This is Mr. Salty. Not sure if he's NZ or CA or both.

This is Licorice, the new mama. Assuming she is a NZB.

Anything you can share about the looks of these rabbits would be appreciated. Thanks!

they look like healthy rabbits that will give you good meat. :) (or if not looking for meat... they will hopefully provide you with smiles). :)

Gingers colour is called tortoiseshell, she is a black rabbit with two recessive non-extension genes that limit how far the black goes along the hair shaft making her look black on short hair and brown on her longer hairs. If one of her parents was a Satin (capitol 'S' means the breed) then she will carry the satin coat gene but unless she is bred to a rabbit that also has this gene, none of her kits will have the smooth glossy coat seen in Satin rabbits.

Mr Salty looks like a Californian as he has dark points caused by the himalayan gene. This gene hides what his true colour is underneath the white so we wont know until he has kits, and their colours will help us determine what his are. He could be part New Zealand but it is unlikely he is pure NZ. Is he the father to Licorice's babies?

Licorice looks like a black rabbit but may have many hidden recessives, if you post a picture of her kits we can help determine what recessive she has and if Mr Salty was the father we can figure out his true colour as well.

__________ Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 am __________

I just searched your other posts and found the pictures of your new popples. They are adorable!! I LOVE the blue, I wish my buns would give me one ;)

If Mr Salty is the proud papa then he and Licorice both carry the blue dilution gene.

It looks like you have 3 REW or they could turn into Cali marked kits as they grow. This means Licorice carries this gene too.

The 2 black kits tell us that the father must carry the non-agouti which is also called the self gene and he is likely a black rabbit under his white coat.

Please keep us updated on Gingers kits

I love them all but especially Ginger! Beautiful :)
So wish I had a site like this to go to when I had French Lops, Dutch and Mini Rex rabbits.
I'm learnig so much here. Thank you :)

Thank you so much!! I find it so fascinating!! I can't wait to see what comes from Ginger and Mr. Salty too! Hoping she will give us babies next time around.

__________ Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:42 am __________

I just want to add that Licorice is my favorite. She is silky and soft and sweet and curious. I was so excited to see the blue as well. I am hoping she is a girl and I will raise her up to be a breeder.

__________ Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:43 am __________

Oh the fur on the babies are different too. The black ones are so soft. The white and blue are more cottony.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:29 pm __________<br /><br />Oh and I wanted to also add that the 3 white babes are REW for sure. The other 3 buns haven't really opened their eyes yet so I can't tell. Licorice has a bit of a REW to her...they are dark though, but shine pink sometimes.

Licorice must carry the REW gene to have her white kits but it is the blue gene hiding in her that is making her eyes reddish. The chocolate gene can also cause this effect in eyes, she could be hiding that as well, you'll only know if she has a chocolate kit.

Thanks Dood! I want to breed them around the clock. They are so neat!

Back