Can you tell me more about A.R.B.A?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the benefits of membership? Rabbitry registration?

I was looking on their site mainly to get a SOP book, but then saw all their other options so I was just curious how many RT members are ARBA members as well... I am not interested in a huge operation, but I wouldn't mind becoming and actual "rabbitry" to bring in a little extra money here and there. Although, reading some of the stories on here not sure how I feel about selling to random people. I keep going back and forth. I would like to offer rabbit meat for sale (rather than live animals), or even for pet/reptiles (again, not live animals), but am trying to sort through the NC laws for that.

I just joined ARBA and registered my rabbitry. I joined because my daughter and I have been tossing around the idea of showing, which requires you to be an ARBA member. Did get a copy of the SOP and with the membership comes a copy of the Official Guide to Raising Better Rabbits and Cavies, which has been an interesting read so far.

You dont have to be an ARBA member to show, even at ARBA sanctioned shows.

There's a few ARBA perks I've noticed so far; Like that's a REALLY good deal for the rabbit magazine subscription alone. You also get a neat little guide book, and a card with your membership # (and then rabbitry # once you register that too). Being a member also opens you up to other perks I have yet to partake; being able to purchase advertising through ARBA (which then is posted on their website's breeder list), pedigreed rabbits may then be registered through ARBA as long as they fit their breed's guidelines, and by registering individual rabbits they can then earn legs. You can also get new breeds/colors sanctioned through ARBA, I believe, but it is a lot of work so I never ironed out the details.

I was wondering what the magazine was like, and didn't realize that book came with it until I started looking at it in more detail... I just ordered one from Amazon :slap: . I sent a cancellation request shortly after placing the order, but not sure if they will do it or not.

heritage":2l7hdtlr said:
I was wondering what the magazine was like, and didn't realize that book came with it until I started looking at it in more detail... I just ordered one from Amazon :slap: . I sent a cancellation request shortly after placing the order, but not sure if they will do it or not.

I'll also point out - and IDK if it is just coincidence - but I've found their responses to questions came about a lot faster and seemed a lot more detailed after I registered as an actual member. It could have simply just worked out that way accidentally or people responding to e-mails actually take you a little more seriously when that e-mail is linked to a paying members acct.

I do regret registering though, as it has only been a few months and already there is a serious move being planned and my rabbitry is being renamed as a result (current name is after the present location and to take it 20 mins away seems silly to me and like I'll have to explain the name too much). I already have a new name planned soon but man that's one more thing I have to pay to have changed over. :roll:

I have picked up a few of the magazines on auctions and have enjoyed them. I plan to join ARBA in the next month or two.

We are members of the ARBA and have our rabbitry registered. One of the benefits of registering your rabbitry is that they will not register another rabbitry with the same name as yours. The magazine is nice and I find the articles interesting and helpful as we learn more about raising and showing rabbits. We do show and the only time you must be an ARBA member to enter a show is if you wish to show at the ARBA Convention (it's being held in Portland, Oregon this year and San Diego next year). Any other ARBA sanctioned show does not require membership. We collect legs and register any of our rabbits that are eligible as Grand Champions. The kids think it is cool to get those certificates in the mail! If you ever get involved in any ARBA chartered local or state all-breed or specialty clubs, officers are generally required to be members of the ARBA. I am on the board of a local club and the national hopping specialty club so I have to provide them my ARBA number for our charter renewal each year. Also, as a member you can support fellow members that are running for office or seeking licensure as a judge or registrar by signing their applications. The other benefit is that you are supporting the organization that represents us as rabbit breeders. Having a strong national organization is beneficial to help counter-act organizations like HRS being the only "authority" on rabbit ownership, IMHO.

Lots of benefits that far outweigh the cost for us!!

Latest posts

Back