Can It be successful starting the weaning at 3 weeks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
Most of you have probably seen my thread about Isabel my Polish doe having an unexpected litter. They are doing well but I really wanted to show her at the fair July 29th. I was wondering if I started weaning at 3 weeks by taking her out and putting her in a cage that they can see her from and then putting her in for about an hour everyday for them to nurse and then pulling her back out starting at 3 weeks of age, then at 4 weeks I would stop putting her in at all.

Would this work? Last time I had a litter I started weaning at 4 weeks by taking the doe out at day and leaving her in overnight until they were 5 weeks and never had a problem.

You could take the kits out during the day and only put them together for an hour twice or even once per day to nurse starting from day one and they would be fine.

The way you have things described, you are effectively weaning them at 4 weeks, and that is fine.

Latest posts

Back