Can enteritis be related to protein %?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
Since last winter I have kept everyone on 18% feed. I found out that a breeder that I trust and has awesome stock, uses 16%. So, after much thought and debate with my rabbit business partner and friend, I started buying a lower %. Our feed mill has 15% though instead of 16%. At first everything seemed to be fine, but the last few weeks I've had some odd things start happening. Babies dropping dead for no apparent reason, and other babies start to look and feel very thin and then die. Even my doe that I posted about with the odd head tilt...she is now nearly 100% with no treatment at all. It couldn't have been wry neck. So, my question is...can the protein % really have that much effect on the little ones? Can it cause weaning enteritis or do I have something else going on entirely? The only thing I can link all this to is the food...that's the only thing that has changed. I need to make a trip to the feed mill today or tomorrow and I'm thinking of going back to the 18% just to see what happens! If anyone has any info for me I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

I agree that the feed seems the most likely source of the problem. Since the 18% worked well for you before, I think it would be best to go back to it. If the situation does not improve after a reasonable length of time, you will know it was not the 15% feed causing this and then you can look for other causes.

Thanks! I'm really starting to feel like the feed is the problem. It's the only thing that makes sense. It's not worth saving a couple of bucks to buy the lower %. There really isn't much of a price difference. I had just gotten concerned because I'd heard that using too high of a protein could be bad. I'm thinking not, at this point.

Some rabbits can do fine on as little as 12%, but probably most cannot. It just depends on the rabbits.

I'd go back to the 18%, as suggested by others, and see if the problems stop. :clover:

The 18% isn't going to be too high for growouts, or for pregnant or nursing does. It's probably not too high for any bucks or non-working rabbits you have, but you might have to give them a little less than you do 15%.

Obviously, I do not have meat rabbits, but I do keep my does bred pretty often. Another thing I'd noticed...we've had a dramatic drop in average litter size. I was having 5, 6 and 7 babies at a time from most of my does even though I have dwarf breeds. Since the feed switch I've had 1 and 2 babies in several litters!

And you're right Miss M...I seem to be going through way more feed than before. So yeah, really no savings at all! LOL

I buy 16% feed and my rabbits do great on it, but when I switched from 16 to 18 I had enteritis deaths, and when I switched back I had more. What I'm saying is that I no longer EVER switch feed on growing kits, even if I have to drive to the next state to get the right brand.

15 does seem a little low, anyway to supplement the kits with alfalfa?

Well, shoot, Zass. Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't have access to hay right now. I really feel like I need to go back to the 18% but I don't want to cause even more problems.

Ok, so I think I'll buy 50# of 18% and 50# of 15% and mix it evenly! Then next time I'll buy all 18%. Does that sound like a good plan?

MamaMandy":n1hho5zb said:
Ok, so I think I'll buy 50# of 18% and 50# of 15% and mix it evenly! Then next time I'll buy all 18%. Does that sound like a good plan?

You could certainly do that, but if you have even half a bag of the 15% that should be plenty for the transition. In your shoes, I would be glad to see the end of the 15% as soon as possible without an abrupt change. It depends somewhat on how many rabbits you are feeding, of course.

Unfortunately I'm almost completely out right now. I should have thought of this about a week ago. I'm feeding about 30 or so. A lot of jrs and nursing or pregnant mamas.

I guess I could buy just a 25# bag of 15%...

Thank you all so much for your help. I love that I can get quick and reliable answers here!

Mary Ann, ours get a small handful of oats every night. They absolutely love them! They all get so excited when we come in the barn at night...they know it's oat time! LOL

Not wanting to start a ruckus, but a 50/50 blend may be a bit much.
You're going from a low protein to a higher one. 15% to 18%.

I had trouble with the higher protein feed and made the switch
to a reduced protein brand a month or so ago. I took two weeks to make
the change in feeds, but it was very gradual.

I had problems with weaning poops as well on the higher protein.
Just be gradual and, if possible, add a little hay. Some will argue
with this method....some will swear by it.

The main thing is: Find a regimen that works well for your
stock and don't change unless you absolutely have to.
You'll find your "groove" and once you do, stay within it.

Grumpy.

Latest posts

Back