Can a pet rabbit live in a wire cage?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happybunny

Reaction score
Can a pet rabbit live in a wire cage, or are wire cages only for meat rabbits? I have a 8 square foot cage for my bunny, and I hand feed him with black oil sunflower seeds as a treat. I also pet him on the forehead and kiss him too. He can sit on my lap also.

My main concern is that rabbit rescues are against wire cages and they might complain about my habitat setup for my rabbit.

Yes, wire cages are sanitary, and therefore good, especially if your rabbit is not litter box trained. I think rabbit rescues have problems with wire for 2 reasons-- #1, they don't want rabbits crammed into too small cages. Kinda defeats the purpose of "rescue".

#2, Some large rabbits, or pet rabbits with bad genetics, have trouble with sore hocks, meaning their back feet develop sores because they can't handle the wire under their feet all the time. Most meat breeds just don't get bred anymore if their feet get sore, so those breeds tend to have less trouble with sore hocks. Pet breeds do sometimes have trouble. So If your rabbit has plenty of room, and his feet are ok, then you are good. Also it is nice for a rabbit to have a non-wire resting place that can give him a break. Many people provide a resting board, which is just what it sounds like, a piece of wood, tile, or cardboard big enough for your rabbit to sit on if they want.

If you notice him sitting there almost always, then he is telling you the wire bothers him, and if he is your pet I would start looking at other types of housing for long term. If he is all over his space and only sits there sometimes, then he is happy with his floor and you are good to go.

why are you concerned about a rabbit rescue not liking your wire cage? Are you looking to purchase a rescue? Going to have someone from a rescue over for tea?

If so and you do end up with a wire cage its easy enough to "make them happy" by covering the wire with cardboard, carpet, those plastic rest mats etc. But honestly most rescues will be mad if you don't free roam your rabbit or give them their own bedroom.

You do what works for you. If a rescue comes over... adapt what you do to make it more suitable for their agenda/needs. once they are gone, you do you again. :)

why are you concerned about a rabbit rescue not liking your wire cage? Are you looking to purchase a rescue? Going to have someone from a rescue over for tea?

If so and you do end up with a wire cage its easy enough to "make them happy" by covering the wire with cardboard, carpet, those plastic rest mats etc. But honestly most rescues will be mad if you don't free roam your rabbit or give them their own bedroom.

You do what works for you. If a rescue comes over... adapt what you do to make it more suitable for their agenda/needs. once they are gone, you do you again. :)
Thanks! I think I’m just overthinking this. I give my bunny lots of love.

IMG_6643.jpeg

Latest posts

Back