Can a doe handle 12 kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
And I thought her sister did well to give us nine!

Broody - so named for her habbit of making nest after nest after nest - had her first ACTUAL litter of kits today and I think I counted 12 but there may actually be 13.

Can a doe handle that many?

The other two does due to kindle have proved no shows so far so no chance to foster any.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:57 pm __________<br /><br />All but one have nice full bellies too! :D

The answer is...MAYBE!!! :lol: I know, not helpful, right? Some does can't handle more than a few kits at a time. Others can handle however may you throw at 'em! If they're looking fed, I wouldn't worry too much, seems like Broody has the PERFECT name!!!!! :D Keeper for sure. ;)

It is possible...but with a litter that size you want to check them almost daily to be sure they are all plump happy fed squirmers...if they aren't all fat happy kits suddenly then you will know it is a few to many...and you can maybe try letting half feed in the morning and half in the evening to cut the stress.that is if she has trouble handling them that is.

I made the mistake of trusting the doe I bought that was "proven" I checked day one, cleaned up a bit, and let her be. two days later I find them all dieing. ended up losing every one of them ;/ I don't think she fed them once, and even trying to save them it was just to late :( so just be sure to check them ...little ones can go downhill fast.

With her nest making odds are she has fabulous instincts and will do her very best to raise them all. she may end up drinking more water then normal to keep up though so if she is using bottles maybe give her a spare :p

I had a doe that just recently had 12. Only 8 made it. It is possible but they may be smaller and grow slower, is what I was told. Because my numbers were dropped to 8 I didn't notice any difference, but they were notably smaller when born.

Best of luck! With her name I bet she will doe a great job, but do check them often.

They all seem to be the normal size squirmers.

When last checked they were all warm and dry, despite the torrential rain.

The one that didn't look fed I put right in the middle of the pile so it should get first choice at feeding time.

I saw her feed them at about four so she might be like her mother, feeding five or six times a day.

The plan was to get two litters from these two does and then cull them out of my harlequin New Zealand breeding project but they are being so fantastic they might get to live, despite being not the right color :lol:

I have had Satin Does handle thirteen to weaning with no problem.
I am of the belief that Rabbits feed their kits once per day,
usually early in the AM or near dusk. This is a throw back
to not allowing predators to find the nest.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":34ve5f48 said:
I have had Satin Does handle thirteen to weaning with no problem.
I am of the belief that Rabbits feed their kits once per day,
usually early in the AM or near dusk. This is a throw back
to not allowing predators to find the nest.

And yet I have seen my own does feed several times a day. I wonder if different lines feed different times?

Its nice to know you have had does handle that many, fingers crossed for my one.

My main worry is actually kits being pulled from the nest cage, its shallow and made of wire to keep them from overheating but she has them right at the front so a bit of a worry there. I left lots of her fur there so if one falls out it should be able to snuggle down and make it through the night.

I had a doe raise 15 to weaning age. Only 8 were hers. I did have to split them up and switch them out twice a day so everyone got fed once a day. They did grow slower, but are catching up fine.

It isw quit possible and I have heard of/seen it happen,
but in general a Rabbit will feed her kits only once per day.
Still, one can NEVER say never!

GBov":1ba010ef said:
The plan was to get two litters from these two does and then cull them out of my harlequin New Zealand breeding project but they are being so fantastic they might get to live, despite being not the right color :lol:

I have heard of people that will keep a rabbit that is an amazing mother...and breed her at the same time as one from great lines that isn't a good mom at all. they then cull every one of the mutts litter and give her the pure breeds kits. I couldn't bring myself to do something like that, not that I don't understand the idea just can't bring myself to cull something that is perfectly healthy :/ but I can't see keeping a super doe around as a bad idea :)

Sinnfox":pmb73fvo said:
GBov":pmb73fvo said:

I have heard of people that will keep a rabbit that is an amazing mother...and breed her at the same time as one from great lines that isn't a good mom at all. they then cull every one of the mutts litter and give her the pure breeds kits. I couldn't bring myself to do something like that, not that I don't understand the idea just can't bring myself to cull something that is perfectly healthy :/ but I can't see keeping a super doe around as a bad idea :)

As I have a million year old doe - in actual fact she is 7 - that only has three at a time now, a big litter, good mother duo is surly not a bad thing.

So far this line throws super mothers so now to keep that, add a bit faster grow out rate and the color I am after and I have my goal.

I took them all out of the nest this morning and :oops: there are only 10! All but one are large and fat. The odd one out is tiny and wrinkly and not long, I fear, for this world. Its once again back in the middle of the pile and I am hoping Jet has her three today so I can sneak it into her nest but no signs of kits from her or Blue Bell. All three were bred at the same time so I hope they oblige.

My first time doe had 10, but they weren't all getting fed. One was tiny and near death after a few days. I tried a few things with no luck, so I finally took the litter away every day for several hours. Last thing at night, I put momma in a travel carrier and gave her 2 or 3 kits to nurse at a time, starting with the smallest. It took close to an hour to make sure everyone got a full belly and nodded off to sleep, lol. I then put the whole family back in the hutch over night and for the morning.

After a few days the runt had filled out nicely, and the rest were catching up to the 3 biggest popples, so I left it to Momma. They will be 4 weeks tomorrow and all are alive and apparently healthy. I have been supplimenting the pellets with rolled oats and Calf Manna.

Probably should have just culled the little hopper, but I'm a sucker for the underdog, lol

What I did with a bigger litter when a few of the smaller ones weren't getting quite enough is remove 3-4 of the biggest for one feeding. The next day I removed 3 different kits who had the fullest bellies. Just 2 feedings of not having to fight so hard was enough to let the little ones catch up. I did keep feeding the doe a lot of parsley and gave her some BOSS each feeding.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:00 am __________<br /><br />Congrats on the big litter! I know some breeders don't like them, But I prefer them.

coffeenutdesigns":1ellkqo0 said:
What I did with a bigger litter when a few of the smaller ones weren't getting quite enough is remove 3-4 of the biggest for one feeding. The next day I removed 3 different kits who had the fullest bellies. Just 2 feedings of not having to fight so hard was enough to let the little ones catch up. I did keep feeding the doe a lot of parsley and gave her some BOSS each feeding.

__________ Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:00 am __________

Congrats on the big litter! I know some breeders don't like them, But I prefer them.

I love big litters too, LOTS more to eat :cool:

So far so good with this litter, am well pleased with this doe!<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:08 pm __________<br /><br />All 11 are fine and dandy! Just starting to open their eyes and are soooo cute.

One is a beautiful Tri-color :cool:

Latest posts

Back