Calculating percentage of protein

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
I am blonde. Math is not my strong point. Thus, I need help. :x

I need to cut my dependence on pellets but to do so, I need to assure myself that I'm providing a sprout mix of sufficient protein. Here is what I (think) I know:

sprouted wheat: 16% protein
sprouted oats: 17% protein
sprouted BOSS: 16% protein
Flaxseed: 13% protein
sprouted lentils: 34% protein

(Correct me on those as I was pulling from wherever I could find info...)

So, if I mix them in roughly these proportions:

1 part wheat
2 parts oats
1/2 part BOSS
1/8 part Flaxseed

what would the resulting mix's protein percentage be?
what portion of lentils would I add to bring the mix to 18% protein?

I can't do the math either! :oops:

I do have a question about lentils, though. Have you fed them before in any quantity? I just wonder if they are easy for rabbits to digest. I know with roasted soybeans and with peanuts, they can be safely fed in only fairly small percentages. I have no idea if lentils are similar, but they are not a commonly fed food for rabbits and that leads me to wonder why.

Someone on the forum was feeding lentils, I think. It might have been Hoodat. You might want to consult him.

Field peas might also work for a protein boost. It might be worth looking into them as a possible ingredient.

I'm not trying to discourage you, Frecs, just to make sure that you've covered the possible problems with feed ingredients in advance. I'll be following your endeavours with interest. :good-luck:

I value your input, MaggieJ!

I did include lentils in the mix earlier this year. There were never any issues with it for the rabbits. Now, when I tried sprouting Adzuki beans in the mix -- that gave them problems! But, the lentils didn't seem to bother them.

I would assume the field peas would need to be baked or cooked first??? wouldn't those also be a gas risk???

Glad to hear the lentils did not cause problems. :)

To the best of my knowledge, peas do not present the same problems as beans and may be fed raw to rabbits. The dried peas would likely need to be soaked or sprouted. I did try feeding a small quantity to my rabbits, but they had little interest and since they have all that alfalfa hay I have not pursued alternatives very diligently.

A link about peas as livestock feed. I know they can be used for rabbits because they are an ingredient in the organic rabbit feed sold by Homestead Organics here in Ontario.
http://www.feedipedia.org/node/264

Hoodat was feeding cooked lentils, if I'm not mistaken.

I found an online calculator for this kind of thing, but you could input only two items, their protein percentages, and the ratio. It would give you the resulting protein content. But I was hoping to find a calculator that you could input more items into.

Latest posts

Back