Calcium Drench

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey328

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped at the feed store to get some for my Mama bunny and they asked "what kind". Apparently they have several different ones.
Can anyone point me toward the appropriate one?

I don't know about the drench but folks on here often recommend Tums for calcium for Does in labor. Do you have some Tums handy? They say the fruit flavored is a favorite for rabbits! :)

I have some "store brand" ones. Never thought of that. The kits are about 2 weeks old so labor's all done...just wanted to make sure she's getting enough calcium for milk production. I read on several posts that folks use a calcium drench...and they wanted to know if it was calcium manganese or calcium citrate or...and named a few others. I didn't realize there'd be more than one, LOL

To improve milk production I use dandelion, borage, lemon balm and comfrey (comfrey in small amounts only). Also on the list of herbs to aid lactation is Blackberry, raspberry, parsley, fennel and goats rue and I'm sure there are more. My borage failed this year. Figures! I could have used some a few weaks ago for my doe. I'll have to start some more seeds and keep it out of reach of slugs.
If your buns aren't used to greens though becareful to start them out slow on greens and I always start mine on greens when I breed them if they aren't already on them. :)

Huh. :? I didn't know it came in so many types, either.

I add oyster shell to my rabbit feed. The brand that our TSC has comes in a pebble-like form, not the shell fragments I am used to. But it works well since it is too large to drop out of the J-feeders.

The rabbits eat it when they feel the need. Sometimes a bunch will accumulate in the bottom of the feeder, and then suddenly it will be gone.

You might try putting a TBSP in the feed tray if you don't want to mix it with your feed, and just give more as necessary.

You can also smash up dried egg shells for calcium. Or use a cuttle bone, scrape off some into the water daily.

The oystershell we have for the chickens is in pretty big chunks. I do save the eggshells though; once the oystershell is gone, they'll be getting them instead. How fine would you smash it, CnB? They get lots of greens...transitioned 'em from pellets to grain/hay/greens as soon as we brought 'em home :) I have comfrey and parsley...think I might have some borage out there as well...there's a big plant I'm not sure of with blue flowers...I'll have to check it out.

Thanks, all!

For immediate needs, TUMS. For future preventative -- kale is good for calcium plus the above named "lactation herbs". A fellow breeder also suggested I use "Bounce Back" once or twice a week during hot weather to help with electrolyte replacement.

Latest posts

Back