Cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I prefer doors that open out and down. I have one that opens out and up, and it gets in my way all the time. It's the only cage that I've had a rabbit escape from (he's my biggest buck--a stronger latch fixed that problem). That cage is from a store-bought kit, and originally the door opened IN and up. I HATED that, so I changed it.

Bass cages come with 16g floor wire, that would be the deciding factor for me. I want 14g floor wire. Also, I like my doors to swing out and to the side and I want them as BIG as they can possibly be. Is there not a place locally or a feed store or another breeder that makes cages near you?

OneAcreFarm":uyzpj3zq said:
Is there not a place locally or a feed store or another breeder that makes cages near you?
OAF, I suspect we're spoiled here. :cool: As I understand it, though, Bryant's will ship, and I know that people all over this part of Texas buy from him.

OneAcreFarm":205brh8w said:
Is there not a place locally or a feed store or another breeder that makes cages near you?

Where I am there isn't even anyone who sells wire or anything else other than hardware cloth. The only way to get anything is to order it in. There are no specialty livestock items available. If it doesn't have something to do with beef, chicken, pork or horses you can't get it easily. We are the number 2 supplier of lamb on the continent and you can't buy the specialty stuff in the feed store or if they do bring something in its guaranteed to be cheap and or useless

OneAcreFarm":661ncm97 said:

There is tractor supply and family farm and home right by me but their cages looked cheap. Also the stackables were only 24 X 24. I guess I could get the 30 X 30's but I would have to by the legs and the pans separate. From the reveiws I read on them they have cheap wire and are not sturdy. I found that Plank's Rabbitry is about an 1 1/2 hours from me and would be willing to drive to them but I emailed him and got no response. So I guess I have to find some to ship to me. Thanks for all the info...Dan

Plastic! For sure . I have both types from Bass and the metal ones rust and are harder to clean too.
I do like the doors that push in. If you need the door to stay open you can bungee it up with the hook type bungees. I have had rabbits get out. They have jumped out of upper cages and I was fortunate that they did not get hurt. That happened with the push in type. Some rabbits can lift the door up with teeth and push their head under. I now go down the line religiously and make sure every latch is tight.
I will add that I hated the pans. Cleaning is a nightmare. I have most of mine now hanging outside. The pans leaning up against the fence. Sooooooo much easier to keep up with 9 pans for kindling does than 20. The colony grow out pen is great too. I will try to post pictures.:)
Growing and nursing rabbits poo twice as much as single grown rabbits. Plan on cleaning pans every three days for a growing litter in a 30x 30 panned cage.

3mina":3nskeg6o said:
OneAcreFarm":3nskeg6o said:

Where I am there isn't even anyone who sells wire or anything else other than hardware cloth. The only way to get anything is to order it in. There are no specialty livestock items available. If it doesn't have something to do with beef, chicken, pork or horses you can't get it easily. We are the number 2 supplier of lamb on the continent and you can't buy the specialty stuff in the feed store or if they do bring something in its guaranteed to be cheap and or useless

You mean the UFA Co-op stores don't carry anything like that? :-?

FWIW, don't knock hardware cloth. It can be a very valuable resource with framed cages. The key is to build your frames properly. I used it for years as a youth breeders and it works rather well when the pens are built properly.

__________ Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:13 pm __________

DrydenDan":3nskeg6o said:
OneAcreFarm":3nskeg6o said:

There is tractor supply and family farm and home right by me but their cages looked cheap. Also the stackables were only 24 X 24. I guess I could get the 30 X 30's but I would have to by the legs and the pans separate. From the reveiws I read on them they have cheap wire and are not sturdy. I found that Plank's Rabbitry is about an 1 1/2 hours from me and would be willing to drive to them but I emailed him and got no response. So I guess I have to find some to ship to me. Thanks for all the info...Dan

Do you live in the U.P. or in the lower peninsula? How far are you from Klubertanz?

I am in the lower, about 50 miles north of the D (detroit). I work in Warren which is the 3rd largest city in michigan and borders detroit so it is a long drive to them..lol..

There are lots of rabbit shows in Michigan, right? (at least compared to my state) I plan on heading to my first show in September and preordering some cages and supplies from one of the vendors -- you get to avoid paying shipping that way.

SatinsRule":1r1kugqt said:
You mean the UFA Co-op stores don't carry anything like that?

Nope not in Alberta I've been unable to find anything local except jclips on line or off. I had to drive an hour one way to get them. Not the best use of my time, money and gas

Yes there are shows..But unfortunately I work midnights and 3 weekends out of 6. When I looked at the shows that are coming up it seamed they were all over 2 hours away and that's a long drive to maybe not find what I want. I guess I will call Klubertanz in the morning and ask them about the shipping. I live about 15-20 minutes from the Eastern Michigan Fairgrounds in Imaly city but I didn't see anything going on there the rest of the year...Dan

I have 5 "Wingz" cages (I bought 2nd hand), what are the best weight/type of J hooks to put them together with? I have the pliers but read that you need a different tool to take the J hooks off, if you make a mistake, where would I find it? I rigged one of them together with zip ties (for now) and I do like the cage.

DrydenDan":1gs8s520 said:
I am in the lower, about 50 miles north of the D (detroit). I work in Warren which is the 3rd largest city in michigan and borders detroit so it is a long drive to them..lol..

I knew your proximity to Edgerton, WI could possibly be a real challenge in getting there. Most "Youppers" are much closer to WI than the "Trolls" who live on the lower peninsula would be. People don't realize how spread out that region really is until they go up there and drive thru it.

And before anyone gets bent about the terminology used above, a Youpper is someone up lives on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Trolls are what lower peninsula residents are somewhat commonly referred to, because they live "below the bridge" which connects the two peninsulas. Some of that little known jargon that a person learns over 2 decades of military service.

LOL..Thank you for your service...But yeah I am a little to far..There's other things that only Michiganders know..How to spell certain roads..I believe we are the only ones that can put your left hand up look at the back of it not the palm and point to where you are from(lower=trolls)...lol..and there are 2 questions for out of towners..1)Do you guys know Michigan's 5th season and 2) Do you know what a Michigan left is?...lol..Dan

Dan, if you go with Klubertanz, and they do have excellent stuff, get them to cut the wire for your cages and ship it flat panel. You can then assemble them when they get there. Get the "good" JClip appliers AND the cheap ones. You will use both, as the good ones work better overall, but the cheapees are thinner and can fit in tight spots better. Order more JClips than you think you need, and the remover tool if possible. A needle nose plier, a standard plier and a good sturdy wire cutter will be helpful to have on hand, as well as gloves. Have them pre-assemble the cage fronts with the doors for you, you can ask them to make them what ever size you want. Then, get a shipping quote. It will be less than what the catalog makes it seem. My shipping to Texas was about $75 but I ordered rolls of wire instead of flat panels.

If I go with Klubertanz I am getting the 3 cage stackable's, the K-series..They are pre cut with the front assembled..It says that it comes with everything but the pliers and the wheels which I will order..I can get the good pliers around here along with j-clips (cheap ones)..I wonder if they come with the good clips and if I should get more from them also..

DrydenDan":2xco27yl said:
If I go with Klubertanz I am getting the 3 cage stackable's, the K-series..They are pre cut with the front assembled..It says that it comes with everything but the pliers and the wheels which I will order..I can get the good pliers around here along with j-clips (cheap ones)..I wonder if they come with the good clips and if I should get more from them also..

DO NOT waste your money on cheap J clips...it will end up biting you in the rear end. Spend the couple dollars more and get the good stainless ones from Klubertanz. And I think you have to get them separately, if I remember correctly...plus, as I said, if you have not done it before, you will waste a bunch so always buy more than you think you need.

DrydenDan":1nkxs2xw said:
I will get extra but i am not buying a removal tool..I have a drummel for that..lol..Dan

You likely won't need it, I have one but a needle nose pliers works pretty good too...

MamaSheepdog":33ewzmqx said:
I just lowered my boards, and have very little slope. I just scrape. If you did try it, I would go with flat plastic- the corrugated stuff would take up too much room for sure.
I have a pretty steep slant on my boards and I still have to scrape. Most of it rolls into the bins but if they drop some hay or bits of greens it will collect the pellets behind it and need scraping. I use an old hoe wit a short sawed off handle.

Latest posts

Back