Cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMcNemar

Reaction score
Someone recommended that I build my own hutches because it would be cheaper. Well, as fun as building a rabbit hutch sounds, I know for a fact that I'm not going to be able to build a hutch to my satisfaction, especially considering that any wooden structure involving a rabbit seems unsanitary to me. The wood would absorb urine too easily.

I really think I want to go with metal wire cages with tray floors and bedding. I've been shopping around and so far I'm really liking this:
http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Stackable+Cages/default.aspx

I'm thinking that 2 sets of the 3A-3 Large 36 x 30 should be good to start me out with, since I'm thinking of a trio of 2 does and 1 buck with their own cages each, plus at least 2 extra cages to separate weanlings into males and females to fill out enough for processing.

Does anyone use these cages and how do you like them? Are these good options? They need some kind of hideaway inside these cages, don't they? Right now I'm planning on saving up around $2,000 just for the building, cages, and accessories(water bottles, feeders, starting food, etc.), should that be enough?

Also, I'm planning on purchasing a storage building to house the rabbits and their accessories/supplies/feed. Is that a good way to house them?

I know stackers are very popular cages, and much more hygenic and easy-to-clean. I have personally have never had any since I only have 2 rabbits, but they are great from what I've heard.
The storage building is a great idea! It will help shelter them from the elements.
Hopefully some others can chime in, but that's all I can put in :D

For outdoors and in out buildings wire cages are the best. Indoors though it leads to far too much rabbit pee all over the place even with urine guards. We solved the problem of wood sides being unsanitary by painting them in polyurethane. Now they wipe clean like plastic.

Thanks for the responses! I really think I'm going with those cages. My order is going to end up huge there, might need to have $1,000 saved up just for that site so I can buy the cages and accessories that I want. I really like the mats and hay feeders they have.

Check around and see if you can find anyone locally to make them for you. I purchased the stuff and made my own wire cages the first time. Recently, I found an animal supply place that made them for cheaper than I could buy the stuff and have it shipped. Plus, I think those Bass cages hace 16g wire floors and you really need to have 14g, it is better on their feet.

PMcNemar":1ztz21uw said:
Thanks for the responses! I really think I'm going with those cages. My order is going to end up huge there, might need to have $1,000 saved up just for that site so I can buy the cages and accessories that I want. I really like the mats and hay feeders they have.

You should consider having a quarantine cage as well for when you buy another rabbit and need to keep it separated for about a month, or for when a rabbit gets sick. Very handy to have an extra cage or two. It's not nice to have to stress over where to put a rabbit when something goes wrong. :)

A quarantine cage is a great idea. You need to have it in a separate location (maybe an outdoor hutch instead of in the shed. Remember when a rabbit is in quarantine you must care for it after all the other bunnies, so as not to transfer germs to your healthy herd.

akane.....can you tell me exactly what you use for the wood part of the cage? Dave made some new cages this past weekend, we removed the wood back, and replaced it with wire, but chose to keep the wood frame. It just makes the cases so sturdy.

PM, take it from someone who started with an order of Bass Equipment stackable cages. They're good stuff, but you'll get more for your money with the K-Series cages from Klubertanz.

http://klubertanz.com/images/Klubertanz_Pg21.pdf

Bass cages are made with galvanized before weld wire, and are susceptible to corrosion sooner than the Klubertanz cages, which are made with galvanized AFTER weld wire. The Klubertanz cages also come with the plastic duratrays, which will not rust out like the sheet metal drip pans which come with the Bass cages.

Also, I prefer the urine guards to be hung outside the cages instead of inside, as well as the doors to be hinged to swing outward, but that is strictly a preferential thing.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to go check that link out right now. :)

EDIT: Oh wow, they're very nice and they're actually cheaper! Okay, I think I'll be going with those instead now. I can't wait to get a job and save up the money for my bunnies!

PMc, The only thing I could suggest about Klubertanz is to place your order 2-3 weeks before you need them. It will take them that long to cut and ship your cages to you. That was the primary reason I went with Bass cages the first time around. I needed my first run of cages in rather short order and Bass was the only ones who could fill it in the time which I needed them( < 1 week).

What is everyone's thoughts on KW Cages? I am shopping and want to do stackers, but I would prefer to attach them to the stands I have so they are in line with my existing ones. I will probably also do slides on the bigger cages as opposed to trays. I would have trouble maneuvering trays for 30x36 cages around my shed...

Who is the best for shipping? I want six holes, about 30x36, sent to Alaska. I would consider building my own, but I couldn't figure that it would be enough difference in price to justify how much I was dreading the wire cutting and flattening.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:04 pm __________<br /><br />What is everyone's thoughts on KW Cages? I am shopping and want to do stackers, but I would prefer to attach them to the stands I have so they are in line with my existing ones. I will probably also do slides on the bigger cages as opposed to trays. I would have trouble maneuvering trays for 30x36 cages around my shed...

Who is the best for shipping? I want six holes, about 30x36, sent to Alaska. I would consider building my own, but I couldn't figure that it would be enough difference in price to justify how much I was dreading the wire cutting and flattening.

Pulp, most of the distributors have toll free phone numbers listed, and since you are likely to be all too familiar with the advent of trying to get things sent to AK, you may run into a problem just finding anyone to ship them to you. Calling to find who actually will ship to AK would narrow it down to the ones who will do so, then you can decide who you should go with from that point forward.

When I lived in Anchortown, I used to get entirely wound up with some companies when they wouldn't ship anything up there, and the ones who did wanted an arm/leg/first-born son to do so. The ones who treated me fairly were the ones who wound up getting the lion's share of my business in the 6 years I was there.

Hi neighbor!

I can vouch for Klubertanz. I recently got a couple of their cage stacks and really am liking them. Definitely order early, they do take a while to get them out but they're so much nicer than some others I have seen.

I also ordered some stacks from other companies, but IMHO the quality isn't the same. I also have a stack of Martin's (something you might want to look into since he's close to us and shipping is pretty cheap), a stack from bunnyrabbit.com, and I also ordered a stack from KW that went right back to them due to poor customer service.

Good luck, there's a ton of cages out there.

I bought, last summer, 3 sets of stackers, from UPCO. They are "Pet Lodge" which is Little Giant/ MIller Manufacturing. I got 9 cages for less than 200 dollars/3stack. So, less than 600 dollars, subtract the discount, add the fact that with the dollar size of the purchase, there was no shipping charge, no handling charge---
I am quite happy with them-- they are 30x30x18. The only thing that bothers me is the metal dropping pans-- I will be replacing them with plastic.

Rachel, I have wire...
and, you REALLY need to consider shipping, cause it'll kill you, cost me ~600 for my order.

Hey Artios! What part of West Virginia you from? Central? Southern? One of the panhandles? It's nice to see another West Virginian on the forums. Also, could you get me the link to the Martin's cages? I could at least check them out, but everyone says Klubertanz is the best, so I might just go with them, higher shipping or no.

I live in Clarksburg, not far north of you at all. Matter of fact, we just went through Gassaway a little while ago. :) There's a pet store there that hubby has gotten stuff for me from - Master Pets I think it is? He wanted to stop in but I was too tired. Went to Kentucky for a couple days for some good bbq and picked up a bunny on the way home. It's easy to convince hubby I need another one when it's on the way.. lol

http://www.martinscages.com/
They're real good people, and get cages shipped superfast. They used to vend ferret shows and I would pick stuff up in person from him local even cheaper, so an animal show might be a pickup option for you too if there's something close.

Let me know if you need anything locally, and I'll help where I can. I'm just getting set up myself after about a 20 year hiatus from rabbits. We're starting up a mini-homestead kinda project as well. Can't sell the house for another two or three years, so until I can get that spot out in the country that my heart misses I gotta make do here. It's wonderful to meet you.

Master Pets is the only pet store I know of in Gassaway. :)

I was just in there yesterday to get my lovely Kizzy. :D

I'd love to add you on Facebook.

I don't have many friends, mainly because I seem to have a hard time finding people with similar interests. It's super exciting for me to know that there's someone so close that I could talk to about rabbits and homesteading. :D

Latest posts

Back