cage size for bred doe of medium size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i read some were might have been here that the best size for a bred doe or doe with litter was 30" by 36" in size which euals 7.5 sq. foot by question is this i got a good deal on my cage wire from a older man off craigslist at a good price for brand new 100 foot rolls here my problem which really is'nt much off a problem as i have already used some of this wire to build cages for buck and jr rabbits and think i can make it work for bred does as well as does with kits by building cages of this size 24" by 48" which makes a cage of 8 sq. foot my question more or less is will it casuse problems only being 24" wide and being longer in length im only a newibe to rabbits but i don't see were it would cause any problems as they would be gaineing 1/2 a sq. foot in size but wanted to check with others before i went ahead with build these cages of this size sorry for the long post but i want to include all the info which i think i did thanks

Longer is better in my opinion. More room for them to hop around and stretch out instead of piling up in a square. All my cages, does, kits and bucks is 2ft x 4ft.

Just make sure that you build it so that you can easily reach the back, sides and all corners. We have one cage that if the rabbit squishes up against the back wall I can't get her out, at least not without basicly climbing in with her.

Two feet by four feet is a really good size. A lot of people have trouble reaching to the back of a cage 30 inches deep. Make sure your doors are good and big and that you can reach all corners. Remember to use proper, heavy gauge 1/2 inch by 1 inch grid wire for the floors.

thanks every one for the help also thank you MaggieJ for haveing this great site were newibes like myself can learn and get questions answered by rabbit raisers is great this site and bob bennetts book story's guide to raising rabbits new edition have helped me out more then anything with out these two things i would have made some big mistakes

Back