Cage for Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightnin1960

Reaction score
Sometimes I'm having trouble with the buck riding the does back but not getting it where it needs to go. Any ideas of a mod I could do to a cage where I could help him get her rear up with out him knowing I'm helping him. If I try to get my hands in there to help him move her of lift her, he just looks at me like who invited you this is a one on one thing. This Doe and Buck have been having 10 babies but not sure this last time he even got her. Tried her last time with my new buck so that I could get some does for the older buck or his son. Just thought the new buck could be related in a way.

Lets see the mother of the new does is the old bucks babies. My very young buck that I was going to use when the old buck gets to old is the Old bucks baby from a different mother. You think there will be a problem?? :p

Try posing the doe and using a string on her tail that lays over her back and between the ears. When he starts going, you tug on the string.
I guess you could make a hole in the floor wire for your hand to fit.

Lightnin1960":6fk0ah9r said:
Sometimes I'm having trouble with the buck riding the does back but not getting it where it needs to go

Sounds to me like the problem you are having is getting your does to lift for the buck....are you checking their vent for the correct color before you put them in there? They are unlikely to lift if not in a receptive mood. You want their vent area to be dark pink/purple and slightly swollen and moist. Otherwise, they may not want to lift....How much daylight are they getting? With the days getting shorter, you may need to add some supplemental lighting.

Both Ideas are very good. and I don't have alot of light in there and it just got less trying to get ready for the colder months. When we did have rabbits when I was a kid we put the rabbits inside a building during the winter months Oct - Apr with no lights left on and was still breeding rabbits all year around. But adding a light would probably help though.
Thank you

What do ya'll think about the buck and doe relation you think I'll have a problem??

Lightnin1960":dn089ht9 said:
Both Ideas are very good. and I don't have alot of light in there and it just got less trying to get ready for the colder months. When we did have rabbits when I was a kid we put the rabbits inside a building during the winter months Oct - Apr with no lights left on and was still breeding rabbits all year around. But adding a light would probably help though.
Thank you

What do ya'll think about the buck and doe relation you think I'll have a problem??

Inbreeding is not really a problem for rabbits. Often times, you will get better results with inbreeding that crossing in new lines. If you are breeding for meat, I don't see an issue.

just thought they do have some light that comes in but low during the day. and I do have 4 solar lights that come on until they burn out at night so lighter for the first part at night then during the day.

I get the best results in breeding when I put them together as soon as there is enough light to see what I am doing in the morning (just before sunup). Second best is just after sundown. That's when rabbits are most active. Middle of the day is not so good.
Get the feeding and water bowls and everything else moveable out of the bucks cage first so they won't be stumbling over things. I call that "Clearing the dance floor".

Yep, me too, and when he sees me doing that, he is thumping around the cage even before I go for the doe :D

Latest posts

Back