Cage Building Tool

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Hunter

Reaction score
I just built a rather large cage. 8' x 30" x 18" with 4 sections. I used something that I had used many years ago instead of using the clips or crimps, I used safety wire pliers and galvanized saftey wire. Has anyone else ever tried this. I twist the ends of the wire up so there is nothing to get stuck with. The pliers I got from Amazon.com...$20

Attachments

• wire pliers.jpg
    wire pliers.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,561
  • 052311095429a.jpg
    052311095429a.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 1,561
  • cage 2011-05-21_18-09-58_469.jpg
    cage 2011-05-21_18-09-58_469.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,561
Oh yeah, I have 2 pairs of them that I bought about 20 years ago at a DRMO sale in England. They're what we were issued in the USAF to safety wire components. We referred to them as safetywire pliers, and they're one of the most convenient tools a person can have.

And that is a really good job of pigtailing you did on that lockwire in the picture you supplied. I'll guarantee you that will hold better and longer than a j-clip would have.

Yep, I first had mine in the USAF...bombers and tankers can rattle anything loose...I really liked being able to use them to strecth the floor wire buy picking up a link one set off from sides. This way I ended up with the floor tight as a banjo as they say...Hmmm...wonder if the bunnies will play me a tune on it

They are pretty easy to use...the first couple of times will seem ackward...but...you take your safety wire...wrap it around what you want to attach...then cross the 2 ends...pinch that joint together with the plier nose...then there is a mettle slide in between the handles that you pull back that locks the nose shut...now for the fun part...that ball at the end...pull it...it rotates the pliers twisting the wires together...you will pull several times to get the desired tightness you want...you pull too many times...it will break off the ends...but that is OK...it is nice that you can make a loose connection (doors)...or a very tight one (floors)...if I really want to clamp 2 things together...I make a few manual twists at the end...cut the ends off...then I take a pair of needlenose pliers and twist the pigtail in it so you and the bunnies don't get snagged...Be sure to use the galvanised wire...I found that an 18ga wire works better...but it is also handy to have a lighter weight 20ga or 22ga wire around...be careful if you ever use it to attach anything electrical...the wire may cut thru the electric wires...so not recomended...but cage wire...pull till ya grin...

OAF, onr of the many things I like about those safetywire pliers is that you can lockwire different items in series.

Those cages look great!I need a few new cages myself.<br /><br />__________ Thu May 26, 2011 6:02 pm __________<br /><br />

Back