Buying help, which breed[s]

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
I need some help picking out a new Doe, current one was due yesterday and she's still being a nut. Either way, I want a 2nd doe to work with.

A
Harlequin doe, just reaching breeding age, has a 'bald face'. Near by[20mi]. Seller wants to give her to me for free, but she will breed her to their buck and if any kits are show quality, she wants those back.

B
5-6mo NZ/Cali doe, $15, medium distance to me[30mi].

C
1yr proven doe, American Chinchilla, had a litter approx 3 months ago, $25. Idk where they are yet.

What do you guys think?

ChickiesnBunnies":xlh66nzn said:
I need some help picking out a new Doe, current one was due yesterday and she's still being a nut. Either way, I want a 2nd doe to work with.

A
Harlequin doe, just reaching breeding age, has a 'bald face'. Near by[20mi]. Seller wants to give her to me for free, but she will breed her to their buck and if any kits are show quality, she wants those back.

B
5-6mo NZ/Cali doe, $15, medium distance to me[30mi].

C
1yr proven doe, American Chinchilla, had a litter approx 3 months ago, $25. Idk where they are yet.

What do you guys think?

Well,
you asked so I'm gonna tell ya exactly what I think!
The "Breeder" [Which I question] who wants to give you a rabbit
so that YOU can raise any kits and any that are Show quality YOU should GIVE TO THEM!?
I don't think so! You will be feeding the Dam and FEEDING the Kits up until and perhaps
even after weaning. It does not work out in your favor, but it certainly does in theirs.
If the rabbit is a GREAT typed and colored show rabbit, I might agree to allow them
pick of the litter! That's just ONE kit out of the whole Litter.
You might be better off with the $15.00 Cali-Nz cross breed Doe.
and or the Am Chin for $25.00 As always, JMPO.
Please Browse my website.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks.
Maggie, why do you mention health issues?
The Harlequin has a white face[fur] instead of having the split coloring.

I'm thinking I may just get two does.
But the lady with the Harlequin is also helping me find cheaper used cages. I'm also not believing that the doe will care for her first litter, thus the deal doesn't really matter. She also mentioned that the buck also had the gene for the bad coloring, so few if any kits would be quality enough.

ChickiesnBunnies":27hraydz said:
Thanks.

But the lady with the Harlequin is also helping me find cheaper used cages. I'm also not believing that the doe will care for her first litter, thus the deal doesn't really matter. She also mentioned that the buck also had the gene for the bad coloring, so few if any kits would be quality enough.

Sorry, I've never heard the term "bald face" applied to a rabbit with a white face. I took it to mean there it was missing fur, which I would take as an indication of fur mites.

Yea, that is what I thought, too when I read that. But I asked if bald meant white, because I've heard that term used in the past on other species. I wouldn't get her if she was actually bald and missing fur, rabbit needing a ski mask is a little too high maintenance for me, lol.

Personally for me, I agree with Ottersatin, that's a great deal for her. Having been way to trusting of folks in the past, with deals like this where there are too many gray areas, I try to stay clear of deals that tie me to someone else. I like to keep my business, my business, it's just so much easier that way. I'd actually choose B first, and then C. But, that's JMHO. :D

I am picking up the Am Chin, hopefully, tomorrow!
Haven't heard much back from the others, yet. Will get new pics when I get her home.
Here are pics she sent.
5Y55Q35X53na3k13labb9f0d5bd1f87b11113.jpg

5T15Z65U43n73o53l9bb9d22946342fde1388.jpg

Cattle Cait":3i53d3mq said:
Yay! If your Am Chin doe would like some loving I have a very eager Am Chin buck...

Cool, but I'm all the way in Virginia...<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:35 pm __________<br /><br />I'll be getting her around 2pm. =)

I got her 30x36in cage set up last night. Still need to get the water and food bowls, but I'll get them on my way home. Also going to use wire or something to make 2 lines under the floor for extra support.
Hope she is nicer and more neat than my other doe. Seems as though she may have failed to get bred, too. Going to wait a few days more before she will go live w/the buck for a few days.
Should I q/t the new doe and then breed her?
What are the rabbit diseases they can spread from one another? I know all of the chicken ones, but really nada for the rabbits.

I strongly recommend quarantining any new rabbit for a full month. There are a number of diseases that they can pass to each other. Pasteurella (snuffles) probably tops the list, but there is also vent disease, parasites and others. It would be a good idea to read up on the common diseases. You may never see them but every time you bring in a new rabbit there is a risk. One reason I try to keep a closed herd!

Alrighty. So then I will just try re-breeding my nutty doe.
She gained weight like the first time, from 7.5 to 10lbs, but it doesn't look like she has a ny kits and it's just regular growth.
I moved Bun-buns' hutch over into the duck pen. The ducks will be able to use it as a partial shelter when I add a drape over the front before it snows. The new rabbit's cage is also in the duck pen, but on a different wall, against the chicken yard.

I was thinking of moving the buck into this lone cage. Then the new doe into his old cage and next to my 1st doe[when the 30+ days are up.] Then getting a 30x36in or 30x48in pen for Bun-buns, and then use her 2x8ft hutch for growing out weaned kits. I can divide it if I have two litters or leave it open for them to exercise. Could two different litters once weaned live together? Not several weeks apart, but if they are nearly the same age/size?

MaggieJ":2tnyrnk1 said:
ChickiesnBunnies":2tnyrnk1 said:
Thanks.

Sorry, I've never heard the term "bald face" applied to a rabbit with a white face. I took it to mean there it was missing fur, which I would take as an indication of fur mites.
Bald for white was once a common term but you seldom hear it anymore except among horse and cattle breeders (Piebald horses and bald faced cattle). The white head is also what gives a bald eagle its name.

Updating, I got an unrelated Californian pair.
Bred the SF pair, Am Chin doe to the SF buck and the Cali pair.
Hoping for kits and does that care for them this time!

Latest posts

Back