Buying a rabbit from Canada

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerMom

Reaction score
Has anyone here either bought a rabbit from Canada, or anyone from Canada ever sold a rabbit to someone in the States? If so, what was the procedure for the rabbit to be allowed across the border? I'm having a hard time finding the breeds I want anywhere around here...I'm sure someone has some, but they must not have websites or contact info available online. Since I am about an hour from the Canadian border,I'm wondering if it might be easier to try to find a breeder from there.

Flemish Giant or Champagne d' Argent. Of course, as soon as I posted that I found one website!

I sell rabbits to breeders in the States all the time without any problems, there is no documentation required for rabbits either. It's as simple as driving across the Border picking the rabbits up and driving back. Last summer I met a breeder from Pennsylvannia who bought a trio of Bruns from me in Niagara Falls and they had no problems at all. I also occasionally buy rabbits from the states and never have a problem.

Check arba.net for shows in your area. You should be able to find people that way. Although for some less populated areas there may only be 1 or 2 really big shows a year. County fairs often have small arba sanctioned rabbit shows all summer though.

Do you have to stop for inspections? I don't know about anywhere else, but here before crossing the border they inspect your entire car, make you throw out any fruits and vegetables, and I know dogs have to have documentation but I guess maybe they are more worried about diseases dogs can carry? And now we have to have Canadian registration numbers that are separate from any ID here (but that could just be show dogs, I don't really know).<br /><br />__________ Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 pm __________<br /><br />Yes we do plan on stopping at the county fair and checking out the rabbits, that's really the only shows around here. Big state - not many people

Back