Buying a bred doe....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatzNetherlands

Reaction score
So, we were talking and something came up that I hadn't thought of... We are buying a pedigreed doe who will be bred before we get her... But do I ask for a Pedigree on the dad? I, of course, would like it but I am not sure if it is usually assumed, or if it is something I need to ask for and do you normally pay extra for it??

Also, who gets the 'name' on the pedigree of the babies? She bred them but they will be born here... so do they get her rabbitry name or mine?

You should get a pedigree on the dad or a pedigree with both parents and a blank name on the individual rabbit so you can copy it and fill the names in later. They get whatever rabbitry name you want to give them unless the seller specifies you can't have the pedigree unless you use their name which I have never had happen. Some rabbits we paid $5-10 extra and some we did not. However every time we bought bred does even when I watched the buck cover them we never got any kits. The breeding always failed so I am no longer willing to pay extra on bred does.

do I ask for a Pedigree on the dad?

You ask the Breeder to print you a:
Buck Certificate. This will give you
all the information you need to print
Pedigrees on any offspring the Dam delivers.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I either get the bucks pedigree at time of breeding (often hand written on the back of the does pedigree and usually just the basics) OR I've often had breeders email it to me when the does successfully kindles. I find that the does have a better chance of success if they are bred a week before you get them.

I am still waiting to find out if she was bred yet, and I asked about the pedigree.... I am SO excited to get her. She will be at most 2 weeks along when I get her... less if she was bred later... We will be picking her up on the 25th.... seems like forever!

Lucky You getting a bred doe! How exciting! I would definetly ask for a ped or some lineage info on the buck.

Latest posts

Back