Butchering Question--Resting the Meat from Rigor Mortis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So one question I can't seem to find a direct answer to is how long to rest the meat after slaughter. And what about freezing vs rigor mortis?

After quartering the rabbit, can I freeze immediately or should I refrigerate to let the r.m. pass?

When that rabbit is thawed, does it go through rigor mortis then? Or does freezing skip the rigor mortis phase?
If a thawed rabbit has to go through r.m., would it be best to let it thaw in the fridge for a day or so, so r.m. can happen then?

I put the processed rabbit in a gallon size zip lock bag and put it in the fridge for four days. rigor has passed then, it is easier to portion if you want to at that point. or bone or fillet or grind. then I vacuum seal and put it in the freezer. :D
As far as I know if it is frozen before rigor passes it will have to rest until it goes through rigor. If you know you want to eat it on Saturday, put it in the fridge Tuesday..one day to thaw, four to loosen up. :)

:oops: I should have thought about this. But it never crossed my mind. It would explain why my roasters were tough. :oops: I really should have known. :oops: :doh: :slap: :slap: :slap:

We also put ours in the fridge first, but generally for two days or so.

Wamplercathy, I learned this here, too. You're not alone. Of course, there's always the option of going directly from processing to frying pan. Yum :)

I always brine my meat, for at least 2 hrs, if going directly from butchering to dinner , and I like to brine for 2 or 3 days in the frig if I have time and room, -- for old rabbits, or chickens,- a week in the frig sitting in brine will make it about as tender as a young rabbit , [but not as juicy , with a little bit different flavor] .

I use the same method as when I process a deer. Since I don't have a walk in freezer I quarter my deer and then hang it it my customized refrigerator for a week. It ages the meat and also makes it easier to process. I have been using that method with deer for several years and have never had a problem. In fact I usually get comments on how my venison is never gamey tasting. Just my two cents.

We have a couple of members who don't rest their meat..even big game..but unless you're cooking it as soon as you process you will have tough meat. Rigor tightens the muscles, after a few..2 to 4...days the muscles relax..not nearly as chewy.. :oops:

I had never heard of "resting" meat before a couple of weeks ago on this forum and I have never had a problem with tough meat other than wild turkey and one old prong horn buck years ago which I foolishly tried to salt cure. So having butchered five rabbits last Wednesday we baked one Wednesday evening and it was fine. We baked another with the same sauce a couple of days later and it was fine. We gave one to a friend who fried it and said it was fine. Today I deboned the last two after 5 days in the fridge and no, it was not any easier to debone that those I have previously done the same day they were killed. So I guess I'm just the oddball on this but I can find no advantage to "resting" meat. :?

coyotejoe":3i8tdw2b said:
I had never heard of "resting" meat before a couple of weeks ago on this forum and I have never had a problem with tough meat other than wild turkey and one old prong horn buck years ago which I foolishly tried to salt cure. So having butchered five rabbits last Wednesday we baked one Wednesday evening and it was fine. We baked another with the same sauce a couple of days later and it was fine. We gave one to a friend who fried it and said it was fine. Today I deboned the last two after 5 days in the fridge and no, it was not any easier to debone that those I have previously done the same day they were killed. So I guess I'm just the oddball on this but I can find no advantage to "resting" meat. :?

I'm with you, I've tried "resting" my meat a few times myself but found it actually dried the meat out for me. :/ Like to the point I had to give most to the dogs and even then they were clearly struggling as if I'd given them a butchers bone. Not sure what I did wrong, if anything, (it happened with every attempt using both chicken and rabbit), but now I either cook immediately or freeze, thaw later, then cook. No "resting".

coyotejoe":3hbzfivs said:
So I guess I'm just the oddball on this but I can find no advantage to "resting" meat. :?
Sali":3hbzfivs said:
I'm with you, I've tried "resting" my meat a few times myself but found it actually dried the meat out for me.
Wow... and for me, they start stiffening up after a couple of hours or so. They're hard as a rock for several days -- as in, if you try too hard to bend the spine or move a leg, you're going to break it. :shock:

Sali":2g0gofi1 said:
but found it actually dried the meat out for me. :/

I think the key to not drying out is to bag the meat..I have placed several in a trash bag or one at a time in a gallon zip-lock..I also turn them over daily, The reason I do this is because my fridge is too cold. It's pretty old, so I keep them in the crisper drawer..and turn them to keep them from spot freezing.

coyotejoe":2g0gofi1 said:
I had never heard of "resting" meat before a couple of weeks ago on this forum

Also called aging, it's been around for centuries,.
Like I said before some people do not notice a difference..Some people do.. To each his own.. But I am glad that you were open enough to try it Joe.. :) If it doesn't work for you okie dokie...
But for myself I will be resting my meat..unless I am taking it right from process to pan..

Marinea":2g0gofi1 said:
Of course, there's always the option of going directly from processing to frying pan. Yum :)

katiebear":2utwnuht said:
Sali wrote:
but found it actually dried the meat out for me. :/

I think the key to not drying out is to bag the meat

Yes! Rinse them well and bag them damp- don't blot them dry. If brining or just soaking in plain water, make sure to weight the carcasses. Any parts that float to the top of the container will be dry where they have been exposed to air.

Miss M":f47n04io said:
Wow... and for me, they start stiffening up after a couple of hours or so. They're hard as a rock for several days -- as in, if you try too hard to bend the spine or move a leg, you're going to break it. :shock:

I honestly have never had it do that. :shock: That's really a thing? My carcasses always come out "limp" and remain so for however long I house them in the fridge/freezer(after thawing ofc) which is why I came to the conclusion that "resting" must be meant for bigger things than poultry or rabbits. What threw me off was people (on a chicken forum) saying it was primarily to get rid of the "gamey taste". I don't get that, either?? :|

I must be crazy.

Sali":1e48qqls said:
My carcasses always come out "limp" and remain so for however long I house them in the fridge

:shock: I have had spines remain slightly movable but the joints stiffen and the meat becomes very firm (think flexed muscle) After aging everything returns to the state it was right after gutting.soft and floppy, Rabbits, chicken,turkeys and goats are all I have processed..Oh and a couple of Elk. So I guess if you don't want to age your meat or have no rigor then the advice here won't help you..
I processed a mean doe yesterday and cooked her right away, in a preheated crock pot..she started to stiffen after an hour so I took her out and quartered her, so even partly cooked mine firm up.. I shredded the meat so there was no texture issues. She tasted great. :dinner:

coyotejoe":2jgscrv4 said:

It seems you missed the rigor mortis with your timing...LOL. Plus, it's much more noticeable with older rabbits. It lasts around 2 days, but doesn't start right away. Do you use an icebath when you process? I do, and that jumpstarts the rigor. If I plan to cook same day, I don't use the icebath. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:12 am __________ <br /><br />
katiebear":2jgscrv4 said:
Sali":2jgscrv4 said:
My carcasses always come out "limp" and remain so for however long I house them in the fridge

:shock: I have had spines remain slightly movable but the joints stiffen and the meat becomes very firm (think flexed muscle) After aging everything returns to the state it was right after gutting.soft and floppy, Rabbits, chicken,turkeys and goats are all I have processed..Oh and a couple of Elk. So I guess if you don't want to age your meat or have no rigor then the advice here won't help you..
I processed a mean doe yesterday and cooked her right away, in a preheated crock pot..she started to stiffen after an hour so I took her out and quartered her, so even partly cooked mine firm up.. I shredded the meat so there was no texture issues. She tasted great. :dinner:

I think it's much more noticeable with older rabbits....

Joe and Sali, just curious: I wonder if there's something you're doing when dispatching that may be keeping the meat more tender? If the animal is stressed, there is more lactic acid which increases rigor. There might be something in the way you dispatch that prevents the animals from being stressed and decreases rigor? It would be curious to note if some methods of dispatch improve meat quality.

With deer, I don't really have anywhere to hang, so we cut ours up and freeze it right away, eating mainly the best and tenderest parts first. I think they must come out of rigor when frozen, because our deer are always tender.

Gaminess is funny though, since I've had people tell me hanging a deer will INCREASE gaminess, and othes say NOT hanging it do the same. :?

I've heard a 101 ways to get rid of gamey taste in venison...but I've yet to find one gamey to begin with!!!
I'm sure there is someone else who would find the same deer to be "gamey." (It is a game animal, after all)

Or maybe people haven't considered the age, gender, or diet of the particular deer and assumed it was their prep method that affected the taste???

I know the plump doe and button buck my husband brought me the last two whitetail seasons were very tasty animals.

I wouldn't expect a trophy buck with a giant rack to be quite as tender...

the reluctant farmer":2f9dp05z said:
Joe and Sali, just curious: I wonder if there's something you're doing when dispatching that may be keeping the meat more tender? If the animal is stressed, there is more lactic acid which increases rigor. There might be something in the way you dispatch that prevents the animals from being stressed and decreases rigor? It would be curious to note if some methods of dispatch improve meat quality.

You could be on to something there, I don't know. I have always taken pains to kill game cleanly with one shot and I do believe that game wounded and chased or run with dogs will be full of adrenaline and that may be a source of the "gamey" taste. I also think it important to get the animal skinned and cooled down as quickly as possible. It annoys me to see some hauling a deer with the hide still attached for who knows how long in the bed of a pickup, perhaps after it hung in camp with the hide still on during warm weather. I wouldn't expect meat so treated to be fit to eat. I never hang meat in camp but skin and cut it up for the trip home in ice filled coolers.
As to dispatching rabbits I try to be as humane as possible. I'll carry a bunny away from the hutch, set it on the ground and let it explore for a minute or two before I shoot it in the head with a .22 short or an air rifle pellet so it never knows what hit it. Its final moments are not moments of panic. I don't know if that affects the meat but it makes me feel better.

Back