Butchering Knives??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My brother-in-law has been helping me butcher my rabbits. He uses deer knives since that is what he has. I need to do the process on my own. What type of knives do you recommend? How many do I really need? Who makes the best product?

I use a mora for basics and now have a deboning knife from diamant sabatier riyouri series to try because i want to make more things then just pressure cooked meat ready to go into a one pot meal dishes. But i am dutch, sabatier is french but fairly common in more specialty cooking shops here. I picked the riyouri series because it is a one piece knife (welded into one whole), no seams for things to stick (in) to, so optimal for hygiene. Also get a good for you complete sharpening system, because dull knives are hard on you and dangerous.

I like Rada for deboning...for butchering i use shears. Have a pointy pair and one for crunching bones! Much easier with some of the small tight spaces that is a rabbit.

Plain old boning knives I like r dick. German sturdy sharp easy to maintain and I most like the bright orange handle it's hard to lose it

My brother-in-law has been helping me butcher my rabbits. He uses deer knives since that is what he has. I need to do the process on my own. What type of knives do you recommend? How many do I really need? Who makes the best product?
I like scissors. My razor edge quilting shears for slitting skin and belly, a kitchen shears for removing head and feet. A hunting knife for portioning, and hubby's fillet knife for taking silver skin from back straps.

For most of the work I prefer a small knive, 2-3", old knive with thin blade which is easy to keep really sharp. The long knive is just for opening up the rib cage, cutting the pelvis and removing the head.
For head (after cutting around the neck) and feet I use pruning shears, and flat pliers for the gall bladder.

I use a surgical scalpel with replaceable blades for a lot of it — blades are razor sharp and cheap! I dissect joints rather than trying to power through them, and it’s sharp enough to do that easily. In my experience, it’s those initial cuts through skin and fur that dull my blades the most, so I reserve a separate scalpel and blade for the rest. unless I’m chopping meat into bite sized pieces for a specific recipe, that’s basically all I use — I typically leave bones in until after cooking.

This is the type I use: https://a.co/d/1FHysFn

Latest posts

Back