butchering idea- chopping block with belts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
what do you think of this? the blue is a belt. i was thinking if you could flip the rabbit on it's back quickly and latch one belt to hold it at the stomach and one to hold the head in place. then you could swiftly chop the head off. pull the ears to remove the head from the belt. pull the leg to remove the body quickly. you could have some hooks hanging beside it with buckets underneath for blood catching.

Attachments

• rabbit block idea.png
    rabbit block idea.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,099
better idea, two pegs, you put the head in and pull the ears or hind legs and it would hold the neck stretched out.

Hmm...can't see a rabbit letting you do this without tearing you up in the process....They don't like to lay on their backs stretched out and they would be struggling and afraid. In theory, it looks great. But I foresee difficulties with actual use. JMO...

like this? and please pardon the very un-artistic pics :oops:
yes the more i think about the wiggly rabbit it would probably have to be a very well behaved rabbit to be able to do that with. and if it was that well behaved it wouldnt likely be going to freezer camp ;) i like the peg idea much better. i was thinking if you made the pegs fairly long then a wiggling rabbit wouldnt be able to escape that easily. though it would be something to do with thick gloves on to avoid scratches.

Attachments

• rabbit block idea 2.png
    rabbit block idea 2.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,091
I don't know... rabbits will almost always do pretty much anything not to be on their backs. They start getting scared and panicky very quickly when they can't right themselves. You'd have to be really swift (and very accurate) to get this to work, and I still have doubts. You'd be holding powerful back legs with one hand, that would be trying to kick or at least thrash, while trying to accurately place a chop to the neck. I think that you'd probably end up with some world-class scratches and a freaked-out rabbit.

Rabbit-wringer-type devices (which you can build yourself by cutting a graduated slot into a board) do cervical dislocation very quickly, as does broomsticking. The rabbit might have just enough time to think, "Huh?", and then it's all over. Broomsticking does require good balance and coordination. Pellet guns are also good for a swift, non-stressful lights out. That's what we do. Bopping is another option, but you need very good accuracy to kill the rabbit, rather than injuring it.

Sorry I can't be more positive! :(

no no no. Sorry... I just see this as being VERY frightening for a rabbit. There are other and better methods out there. :)

I agree with the others... Not a good idea at all. I know you want to get all your procedures in place before you get the rabbits, Ohiogoatgirl, and that is good but I do suggest that you stick with the tried and true methods of humane butchering at least until you get some experience.

These would be (in no particular order): bopping, broomsticking, shooting with pellet gun or .22, rabbit wringer.

Decapitation is somewhat controversial. It is no longer considered as humane as other methods by many people.

Keep in mind that you do not want the rabbit to be upset or frightened. The meat is better from an unstressed animal who doesn't get a chance to realize that something bad is about to happen.

The bunny is frowning in the pictures! LOL

I'm sorry. :)

I agree with Maggie, the less stressed the animal is, they will not be producing adrenalin which will make the meat tougher.

Is your purpose to be able to keep a free hand or two to do it quicker? I wonder, what about a "killing cone" like is used for chickens. If the bunny goes in quickly, it might not stress them and you can slit their throat.

sommrluv":rytqbemz said:
The bunny is frowning in the pictures! LOL

I'm sorry. :)

I agree with Maggie, the less stressed the animal is, they will not be producing adrenalin which will make the meat tougher.

Is your purpose to be able to keep a free hand or two to do it quicker? I wonder, what about a "killing cone" like is used for chickens. If the bunny goes in quickly, it might not stress them and you can slit their throat.

I don't think the cone would work either...most of my rabbits really don't like to be restrained in any fashion. We have tried all the different ways:
1) Broomstick....hmmm, no. Not coordinated enough. But it does work for lots of folks.
2) Hubs does karate chop....works well, quick and humane, but I cannot do myself.
3) Pellet rifle...works REALLY well, instant lights out and I can do it myself.
4) Rabbit Wringer...should be coming in the mail soon...I will let you know.
5) Manual Cervical Dislocation....I really don't like this and I am not nearly strong enough to do this right.

The main thing is that whatever you choose, the rabbit be peaceful when it goes...or at least not scared and struggling.

Just my two cents...

I am waiting for my husband to make me a wood version of the rabbit wringer. This looks to me to be the fastest way. I had thought the pellet gun would be good but I worry about a sudden move and then I would be more stressed than the rabbit.
I just did the cervical dislocation and I would not try this on a rabbit larger than 10 weeks. The rabbit squirmed, and I hesitated ,but I did it on the first try without incident. I did end up with tough rabbit but that might also be due to the fact that we ate it less than 2 hours after I butchered it. Who knew that rabbits are not like fish.
I am waiting on the wringer for all the others, if that gives you a better picture. I am with Maggie on this one.

I guess I must be old fashioned. I have a horizontal poll attached to the barn with two loops of electrical wire attached to it (slip loops). This poll sticks out a little above my head. I wrap the rabbits in the head with a cat's claw (short steel tool for pulling nails if you don't know) and then put one back leg in each loop. I quickly cut their throat and hold their head while they bleed out. I then cut off their head and front feet, slit the hide around the back legs and pull it down and off. Takes about half a minute. I then slit them up the belly and gut them. All of this is done over a wheelborrow to catch everything. In all it takes about 5 to 6 minutes to butcher and cut in pieces. Working at a slow pace I have no trouble doing around ten an hour.

In spite of the rest of us discouraging you, It is good to see that you are thinking about it.

After my recent batch of processing, I do need a better chopping block solution, as opposed to my current very sharp machete and unsplit firewood solution. I still start with a pellet gun, then move to the block, but there is always still some reflex jerking around and my ability to miss the mark and chop my damn arm off or something...

BUT, I did LOVE the graphics, especially the <chop here> notations! =D

SaratogaNZW":11e8cp6p said:
In spite of the rest of us discouraging you, It is good to see that you are thinking about it.
BUT, I did LOVE the graphics, especially the <chop here> notations! =D

After thinking about it, what I SHOULD have told you is that you *could* turn the bunny over on its belly and try it that way, instead of trying to totally "poo-poo" your idea... :oops: I will say this though, decapitation is much messier and will result in more movement after the fact...

Dirty Harry":1h05syqo said:
I wrap the rabbits in the head with a cat's claw (short steel tool for pulling nails if you don't know) and then put one back leg in each loop.
Dirty Harry, do you mean "wrap", which means "enclose", or "rap", which means "strike quickly or lightly"? Just asking because I'm confused... I really can't seen a rabbits head being enveloped with a cat's claw, but I could see a very effective blow being struck by one.

If what you do is hit the rabbit in the head with it, then hang it by the legs and cut the throat, then that is the classic bopping method that a number of forum members use. It is very fast and effective, if you have good aim. I might use it myself if I didn't know how bad my aim is when I am swinging something. :x I can shoot something accurately, but I am no good at swinging something.

Sorry Miss M, I wasn't watching my spelling. I do mean a swift blow to the head with the metal tool. It doesn't take a lot of force to do the job.

Dirty Harry":1e1fbafk said:
Sorry Miss M, I wasn't watching my spelling. I do mean a swift blow to the head with the metal tool. It doesn't take a lot of force to do the job.
That's okay... usually I don't get confused by a typo, but it just happened to get me this time. :?

I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess it wouldn't take much force with a cat's claw or hammer. I still wouldn't trust my aim. :x

Back