Butchering age

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are rabbits typically butchered at a certain age, or do ppl wait until they reach a particular weight? Is there a general age/weight at which the feed cost:meat value ratio starts going downhill? Is there an average age range, beyond which rabbits get too tough for anything but stew, etc.?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer! My trio are Rex/Cali cross, according to the lady I bought them from. (She didn't sound too sure.) They're not huge, but there aren't a lot of choices in my area. Most ppl who keep rabbits here, keep or sell them as pets.

Are rabbits typically butchered at a certain age, or do ppl wait until they reach a particular weight? Is there a general age/weight at which the feed cost:meat value ratio starts going downhill? Is there an average age range, beyond which rabbits get too tough for anything but stew, etc.?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer! My trio are Rex/Cali cross, according to the lady I bought them from. (She didn't sound too sure.) They're not huge, but there aren't a lot of choices in my area. Most ppl who keep rabbits here, keep or sell them as pets.
People use a combination of weight and age to decide when to butcher. For commercial breeds like NZ and Cals , 8-10 weeks is butchering age, but for other breeds it can be as much as 12-14 weeks. Butcher weight is generally 3-1/2 to 5-1/2 pounds live weight, depending on the breed.

Traditional market classes as described by the ARBA (America Rabbit Breeders Assoc.) are as follows:
Fryer: not over 10 weeks of age, 3-1/2 to 5-1/2 pounds
Roaster: under 6 months of age, 5-1/2 to 9 pounds
Stewer: 6 months and over, over 8 pounds

Older rabbits are certainly edible, but once they're past about 3 months they start losing tenderness, and by 6 months they're fairly tough. When we butcher an older rabbit, I usually put it in the pressure cooker and make tacos or stir fry out of it. I do find that the older they get, the harder they are to skin, although, the coat is prime by about 4 months, so if you're wanting to keep the pelt, it can be worth the wait. I do actually keep the pelts from my Satin fryers, but they have a unique and particularly dense coat (they still are not the quality of older pelts).

In my Satins, I find that selective breeding has greatly improved weight gain. I used to butcher 4-5 pound rabbits at 12 weeks; now my meat rabbits usually reach that weight in 8-9 weeks. Selection for meat-to-bone ratio is also effective; use stock that make fryers with medium-fine bone rather than heavy bone (like you find in the giant breeds).

I have found that the feed-to-gain ratio really begins dropping off at around 3 months. The best thing to do is to keep track of weekly weights for your fryers, and focus on breeding the stock that produces the fastest growing bunnies. Interestingly, those are not necessarily the biggest rabbits. I have some rabbits that hit 6-7 pounds by 11 weeks, but then slow down and don't reach senior weight till nearly a year old (they should be senior weight by 8 months according to show standards).

Last edited:
Mine grow slower, I feed mostly just forage and during the day they are out grazing. Also mine are not an optimized breed but random mixes. I butcher at around 5 months, maybe one reason is that they lose some of the cuteness factor by then, and that's the maximum age I dare to keep the bucklings together. Also finding forage gets tougher by that time.
I have different priorities, that I get meat is almost a side effect.

Mine grow slower, I feed mostly just forage and during the day they are out grazing. Also mine are not an optimized breed but random mixes. I butcher at around 5 months, maybe one reason is that they lose some of the cuteness factor by then, and that's the maximum age I dare to keep the bucklings together. Also finding forage gets tougher by that time.
I have different priorities, that I get meat is almost a side effect.
Yes, cuteness is an unfortunate attribute of mine as well. Soooo adorable. Unless I can find actual meat breed rabbits within a reasonable distance at some point, I'm planning to do as @Alaska Satin suggested, and select my breeders for size and rate of growth.

All last summer while they were growing up I fed them weeds, garden waste and grass—and also pellets. They didn't seem to prefer the pellets when they had fresh greens. This year (if summer ever comes) I plan to collect aspen & willow branches, etc for winter feeding. I'd give them pine, but pine needles can (I'm told) cause cattle to abort, so... I'm not in a big hurry for them to put on weight as long as I'm not spending on pellets. But, the way things are currently, I need to get the best results for my efforts and expenses.

Alaska Satin's answer is spot on. As for weights, dispatching, etc., I think breed plays a huge role in when to dispatch. I am assuming you have a "commercial" breed. Commercial just refers to those rabbits with the meat body type. I raise Silver Fox, which is a commercial breed.

When I first started raising, I never had rabbits the size needed for a decent family meal by 8 or 10 weeks, so I had to wait until 12 weeks before dispatching for the table. You want a dress weight of at least 2.5 pounds to make all the effort worth it (my person opinion), and early on in my program, my rabbits were weighing a mere 2.5 pounds live weight at 8 weeks. Thus, I had to wait until my kits were 12 weeks to get that dress weight. But wow, the longer you wait, the more expensive it is in feed, time, effort and cage real-estate.

Thus, the younger you can get good weights, the better from a meat program perspective. So, I've worked on improving the growth rate of my herd and now am seeing the coveted 4.5-pound live weight at 8 to 10 weeks. So, I can now dispatch anywhere between those age ranges. I usually do so at 10 weeks these days, but have done so at 9 weeks, too.

Improving the growth rate of your herd is worth it but requires good records. I usually weigh and record my litters within the first 24 hours of birth, then at 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks and then only once per month for rabbits who are being kept for reasons other than the table. By keeping detailed records, you will begin to see which mating pairs produce the best growth rate, which kits are displaying the best rate of growth and keep to grow out as breeders for your rate of growth improvement program, etc.

Another thing to consider is the ease and efficiency of dispatching based upon age. I have found I cannot dispatch as quickly and as humanely possible when a rabbit is over 12 weeks. I am simply not strong enough to get the lights to turn off immediately once their cervical spine has developed past 12 weeks. Then it requires my husband's strength to dispatch them quickly. The younger the rabbit, the easier it is to dispatch very quickly, not to mention the easier it is to remove the pelt, which then speeds up the butchering process.

Thank you so much! Very helpful. When you talk about weighing the litter, do you mean the entire litter, then average their weight per bunny, or each individually (or both...)? They often look a lot alike, so it can be tricky to tell which is which. Maybe you do some kind of tattooing?

I don't have a true meat breed. If/when I find someone I can buy from without driving two days+, I'll definitely pick some up, but rabbits are mostly for pets around here. I have Rex crossed with Californian (according to the seller) and was excited to get anything at all. Sooo, until I can, I guess I'll keep the fastest-growing, largest maturing for future breeders.

Back