Butchering....again....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
Yeah, I know I suck about keeping promises to post here, but I am still around. Anyways, I will have to post pics of the latest litters. Luna's died mysteriously on day ten...bloody diareah on a couple, seizures and dead, except one doe. I saved her. Spooky's grew and lived well, didnt get whatever killed the other litter. I still haven't butchered and cant seem to get the balls up to do the deed. I swear I get them inside and start petting and then feel like I am a meanie. I know I am not, and I have done it before, but for some reason I am really attached to this bunch. Thinking of going with one color so they are all the same, just plain red. I am tired of all the pretty colors, lol. And I am a little disgusted with myself, feeling like a PETA agent. LOL. MAybe I need to keep up a more rigorous breeding system. Maybe I just need to do it and get it over with. One thing, though, those suckers sure eat a lot.

Just go find an insane doe and try to handle her for a few weeks. By then butchering your first rabbit will seem like a great idea. I threatened to turn Yuki into a rabbit pelt for about a month until she tore through my leather gloves and failed to raise her first litter. I soon had a spotted Yuki pelt in the freezer. It's easier if you don't name the insane doe but they aren't insane before breeding age so I had no idea.

Well, I have butchered before, but it gets me bad everytime. I did Spooky just now. I feel so sick to my stomache and so shaky...I hate it, but they have a good life and a fast exit. I just HATE it . I figure if I am not willing to do the deed myself then I better stop eating meat.

Definitely worse when you name them, and if they were sickly, then you worked so hard to save them, and that makes it hard too. I'm sorry, I know Spooky has been with you a while.

Just keep telling yourself, bbq, soup, stew, roasted, fried, casseroled, curried....

Lol now you are making me hungry. Yeah Spooky was basically my pet and I have been putting her off for almost a year now....but she wasn''t feeding her kits good and there is no money in my budget for pet rabbits. It just got to the point where I had to face it, I think she was an old lady and I couldn't breed her again to see skinny kits. I just wish she hadn't been such a sweetie. Last time I buy some kits pet for my meat herd, I tell you what.

Shara":9oudk8sz said:
Well, I have butchered before, but it gets me bad everytime. I did Spooky just now. I feel so sick to my stomache and so shaky...I hate it, but they have a good life and a fast exit. I just HATE it . I figure if I am not willing to do the deed myself then I better stop eating meat.
I've raised a lot of meat animals and couldn't begin to count how many I've killed over the years but it never got easier. I don't mind the cleaning or cutting up but the killing always bothers me. I think it's supposed to but it's a lot more honest to kill your own meat than pay someone else to do it as you do when you buy it from the store and you know they had the best life and end you were able to give them.

Latest posts

Back