butchered 9 yesterday

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
On Friday I taught and helped someone butcher 10 of their rabbits and I butchered out 6 of my own. Decided on Monday to do a few more. I had a English Lop who we call the jerk. He escaped his cage and we just let him be. He liked to chase my standard poodle who then would chase him. He also liked to head butt me when I was working in the rabbitry. When in a cage he would try to scratch and try to pee on me. I was glad to butcher the jerk rabbit out. I also had to butcher my older Champagne D'Argent buck. He had sore hocks that were not healing. He was not interested in breeding then he got some abscesses on the side of his foot. I never realized how hard it is to kill and butcher a full grown buck. Oh my gosh it's hard. My champagne' s neck was super thick so using the wringer was tough. When I went to skinning him he sure did not want to part with his hide. I finally got his hide off and then it went easy. When I finished the bucks I took care of some young fryer rabbits. I was so tired yesterday I got a bit dehydrated. The good news is.......all the rabbits looked great inside. All the liver, hearts and lungs looked great. I always feel good about the health of my herd when I butcher. When I was in the middle of butchering a worker started cleaning up the yard next to me. He was able to see everything but he was ok with it. The house was abandoned and is now bank owned. I talked to the worker and since he was cleaning up the yard he gave me a bunch of 2x4's he was cleaning up. I gave him a rabbit out of the freezer to take home. He was interested in the rabbits for meat so I gave him a tour of the rabbitry and told him about raising for meat. He asked a lot of good questions and I showed him examples of good meat rabbits and what to look for. He said he will probably come back to me in the future to get some meat breeders. I was in the middle of butchering and he asked to watch so I showed him what to do. It feels good to be able to teach others about meat rabbits. Looking into the bottom of my fridge and seeing all the meat is great also. The kids and I have enough rabbit to last quite a while and about 15 more to process in a few weeks. Next I am going to try my hand at tanning hides.

The very first rabbit I ever butchered was an adult buck. That gave second thoughts about raising meat rabbits, for sure!

Yay for meat in the fridge. I'm rationing mine in the freezer since I had to quit breeding over summer and I only have a few left. I have kits due this week, so I'm hoping everything goes well. The extended heat has me worried. My 2 does look bigger, but not "about to pop" big like she was last spring, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck with the tanning.

We butchered yesterday too. We did 8 and sold 2 additional rabbits to someone starting out. We still have a bunch more to do. Dh got way behind on butchering. The ones he did yesterday were from April or May.

I was able to sell the older bucks and some of the young ones wrapped and ready to go. Now the rabbits have paid for over a month's food. Now my meat is free.

Demamma":gmpuahhw said:
I was able to sell the older bucks and some of the young ones wrapped and ready to go. Now the rabbits have paid for over a month's food. Now my meat is free.

That is SUCH a GREAT feeling!

Back