"But..they're too small"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
That's what Mike said last night when I asked why he hadn't taken the white doe's kits out to be processed. He then asked what weight I was looking for...I said this batch was going to be fryers, so live weight around 4.5 to 5lbs. He said "I think you'll find they're only 3 or so. They're a LOT smaller than the last batch". (Now..the LAST batch were 15 weeks old and HUGE...dressed weight was more than 4lbs on each)

Well, hmmm...okay...I grant you, they look small compared to the Doe (but she's VERY long and quite large..weighing in at 11 pounds). Since Mike is pretty good at estimated these things (it's that engineering training, I suppose) I didn't say any more last night. This morning tho, during feeding, I looked more closely at them and decided to weigh a couple of them. Catching them proved interesting, since they don't get handled AT ALL, but I managed to grab three and get them weighed before I grew weak from blood loss.

1)female: 4 lbs, 8oz
2)male: 5 lbs
3)male: 5 lbs 2oz

I reckon there's big, and then there's BIG. They're nice and chunky and solid. :bananadance2:

So, Mr. Michael, guess what YOU are doing on Halloween? I'll need to get him a Grim Reaper costume..with bunny ears.

I remember thinking they looked too small too. The mommas look sooo big.

Slightly off topic...My youngest is Bunnicula this year, it's just about the coolest most adorable costume idea ever. She loves the books and came up with it on her own, and so she has a vampire cape and teeth, with bunny ears and nose and whiskers. I love it. :p

With my meat rabbits I've noticed the better type they have the smaller they look compared to poor typed rabbits, because everything is in proportion creating the illusion they're smaller then that uber long kit, or the one with the massive ears.

eco2pia":2hpvocum said:
I remember thinking they looked too small too. The mommas look sooo big.

Slightly off topic...My youngest is Bunnicula this year, it's just about the coolest most adorable costume idea ever. She loves the books and came up with it on her own, and so she has a vampire cape and teeth, with bunny ears and nose and whiskers. I love it. :p

Bunnicula!
That was the name of my Daughters first rabbit,
an American Chinchilla. Of course she had been reading
all about Bunnicula.
Ottersatin. :roll:

Back