Burying chew toy in nest?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbgb1912

Reaction score
So my doe (who I think is pregnant again) is still being housed with her two five week old kits. I went in to clean the nest this afternoon after letting them all out for a run, and there was a pile of straw in one corner of the box, covered over. I dug in, and sure enough one of them had buried their chew toy. What kind of behaviour might this suggest?
When letting my doe out for a run, she's been trying to dig tunnels in the lawn, and has no interest in anything other than digging, as she did when she was pregnant.

Has anyone had this kind of behaviour happen with their rabbits?
Would it likely be the kits or my doe burying the toy? And what could it mean?

Toys in the nestbox is usually a sign of nesting behavior.

The doe was just in a hurry to put EVERYTHING available in the nestbox.
I have a couple doe who do that. :roll: silly things.

It might be time to wean those kits, as there is a good chance another litter is on the way. :)

Zass":sjxmh1e6 said:

It might be time to wean those kits, as there is a good chance another litter is on the way. :)

Her last litter she proved she was an organised mum and had the nest already gathered a week early, so hopefully the same this time around. Is five weeks too early to wean the kits? Do I just put them into a different cage, near the doe, or gradually?

Tbgb1912":269iyygw said:
Zass":269iyygw said:

Her last litter she proved she was an organised mum and had the nest already gathered a week early, so hopefully the same this time around. Is five weeks too early to wean the kits? Do I just put them into a different cage, near the doe, or gradually?

You can wean as early as 4 weeks. Some say their does wean naturally at that age. My girls usually keep right on supplementing their kits with milk until closer to 8-9 weeks if I let them.

I don't prefer to wean mine in the 4-5 week range, but I would if there is a reason, and another litter on the way is a perfectly good reason. :)

You can just take them out and put them in a different cage. Or move the doe. With just two kits, the doe wouldn't be making much milk, and if there is another litter due in a week, she probably isn't feeding them anymore at all.

Thank you! When you say she probsbly isn't producing much milk, will that affect the new litter?

Tbgb1912":3l5hwgre said:
Thank you! When you say she probsbly isn't producing much milk, will that affect the new litter?

The milk she was feeding the older babies wouldn't be suitable for a new litter.

Since the content of the milk changes as babies grow...The first milk they produce after giving birth is colostrum, full of antibodies for the developing immune systems.

Is she's expecting a litter, her milk will only temporarily dry up so that it can re-start with milk suitable for newborns.

Zass":tzoivzqq said:
Tbgb1912":tzoivzqq said:

The milk she was feeding the older babies wouldn't be suitable for a new litter.

Since the content of the milk changes as babies grow...The first milk they produce after giving birth is colostrum, full of antibodies for the developing immune systems.

Is she's expecting a litter, her milk will only temporarily dry up so that it can re-start with milk suitable for newborns.

Okay so nature would've taken its course and stopped producing milk by now, ready to begin again for these kits?

Zass":62rnvugc said:

The doe I have now apparently just LOVES to build nests... I'm 99% sure she isn't pregnant, but she's still packing hay into her box (I'm just letting her do it, I don't see a problem) and even pulling some fur at times.

As for putting anything and everything into the nest box, as I've mentioned a few times before, I actually saw her dragging a shoe to her nestbox when she was pregnant with the litter we have now. :roll: She would also grab anything else that was handy, a towel or washcloth, socks, pieces of paper... but the shoe was the most amusing. Bunnies are weird.

One of my nesting does somehow managed to use a plastic bag (which was full of kale ends, that I never found :lol:) which had been sitting on a solid shelf above her cage as nesting material :lol:. I still have no idea how she did it.

My does will put their toys in the nestboxes too. But not being a cynic like Zass :twisted: I believe it is because they are trying to properly prepare the nursery and want their babies to have toys. ;)

Zass is spot on with all of the advice she gave you. I agree you had better get those kits into their own cage soon. :)

Zass":1xa47u8k said:
MamaSheepdog":1xa47u8k said:
But not being a cynic like Zass :twisted:

A cynic!?
Hmm.
Lets see if I can find a cynical enough looking smiley.
Maybe this one

:jump2:

:twisted:

Hey now, hey now!!! :evil:

That's a "smashing-MSD-to-a-pulp-smiley" NOT a cynical smiley! :angry:

***HMMMPH!!!***

I can't believe I just got squooshed just because you don't realize that rabbit mommies want to make sure their wittle baby-buns have appropriate enrichment toys in their nests.

How very anti-anthropomorphic of you! :nono:

MamaSheepdog":12dw71p7 said:
I can't believe I just got squooshed just because you don't realize that rabbit mommies want to make sure their wittle baby-buns have appropriate enrichment toys in their nests.

How very anti-anthropomorphic of you! :nono:

My bun wanted to make sure her babies were well shod. :lol:

MamaSheepdog":2d7e869h said:
My does will put their toys in the nestboxes too. But not being a cynic like Zass :twisted: I believe it is because they are trying to properly prepare the nursery and want their babies to have toys

I love that idea! :lol:

Hey Zass!!!

Look:

Tbgb1912":2bb5240l said:
MamaSheepdog":2bb5240l said:
My does will put their toys in the nestboxes too. But not being a cynic like Zass :twisted: I believe it is because they are trying to properly prepare the nursery and want their babies to have toys

:tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

MamaSheepdog":3bh87ghf said:
Hey Zass!!!

Look:

Tbgb1912":3bh87ghf said:
MamaSheepdog":3bh87ghf said:

:tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

All right all right. You ladies win this round. :bow:

I'll just
:shutup:

and
:writelines:

"Rabbits are very thoughtful mommies
who like to stock their..nurseries
with a variety of...enrichment objects
for their children."

:lol:

Well, Mucky always liked to steal my kitchen washcloths to put in her nest.
She must have wanted the babies to wash up properly after each meal.
:yes:

Zass":39a2z3f9 said:
All right all right. You ladies win this round. :bow:

:pinkbunny: :hooray: :pinkbunny:

Zass":39a2z3f9 said:
Well, Mucky always liked to steal my kitchen washcloths to put in her nest.
She must have wanted the babies to wash up properly after each meal.
:yes:

Probably... being named "Mucky" she probably didn't want her kids ending up with names like "Sticky", "Sloppy", or "Pigpen". :pokeeye:

MamaSheepdog":1hzh6263 said:
Probably... being named "Mucky" she probably didn't want her kids ending up with names like "Sticky", "Sloppy", or "Pigpen". :pokeeye:

She's such an opinionated little thing.

You should see her roll her eyes every time I refer to her son as "Sushi." :roll:

Zass":2olg66p6 said:
MamaSheepdog":2olg66p6 said:

She's such an opinionated little thing.

You should see her roll her eyes every time I refer to her son as "Sushi." :roll:

:lol:

Latest posts

Back