Bunny Bunker

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drowe005

Reaction score
I know hurricane season is still a little while off, but was wondering what any of you may do knowing severe weather may be coming to wind/weather proof/secure your cages. Also wondering if anyones ever gone the extra mile to build a cage that's only to be used in the event of heavy winds, etc. may be coming, something that would be set somewhere safe and very securely attached to the ground. If you have built something like that, I'd be really interesting in seeing some pictures. All the doomsday prepper shows I've been watching recently made the idea randomly pop in my head tonight. I'm sure a few of you will laugh at this, and I am too, but I would hate to have some severe winds sometime and something happen like lose rabbits, or worse kill them.

I had never really given it any thought and I don't live where that are hurricanes but we do get occasional tornadoes.

It seems like you could make a divided box (like those storage boxes for Christmas ornaments but on a larger, more solid scale, made with 3/4"plywood maybe) and the box could be put a platform(high enough to keep from being in flood waters) and then anchored to the ground like a trailer house is anchored. You could give emergency hay rations in the box but I'm not sure about water and this would certainly be a short term-wait out the storm solution.

Just some thoughts about the first thing that popped into my head when reading this. There are probably better solutions.

Thats a good idea you have and might try and work something off of that. Where I live isn't a major hurricane area, but I am on the coast so you never know. Usually every year there's atleast a tropical storm that makes it way here or close enough to have the effects, and if not we'll usually have a good noreaster. Last year we had a Category 1 come by with the eye passing just miles away and had pretty good sustained winds with gusts up to 90 and did a bit of flooding around my house as I live on a coastal river. At that time, my rabbits were actually at a different location so I wasn't able to see how the cages would do. Just something that I thought of and probably will do it soon as a project to keep me occupied for a little while. Like I said before, this might be a little over the top, but if you've got the resources and the time to do it, why not? Always better safe than sorry

We dont get hurricanes but we built a shed for bunnies after several dog attacks.

Well, we DO get hurricanes and so our new rabbit area will be fastened with auger anchors and certified for 130 mph winds...

Well, we don't get hurricanes or tornados, but Hubs builds things to last. I teased him that if only we had a truck engine to re-bore, we could hoist it from the rafters. This is in the early stage of construction, before he put the gables on, or made the removable end panels.

IMG_0064.JPG

It's always a good idea to be reasonably prepared for stuff you know happens in your area. I don't need to prepare for blizzards, but I do need to prepare for flooding. If you live in an area where tornadoes are a rare, freak occurrence, then it's probably going overboard to build a tornado shelter. If you live where there are hurricanes, though, by all means, be prepared for them. And prepare your rabbits for them, too. :)

Where you live, a "bunny bunker" would be an excellent idea. Perhaps the best choice might be a shed that has hurricane ties on it, like OneAcreFarm's setup. :)

A root cellar would make for a GOOD Bunny Bunker!!! I am inclined, really to want my home and animal housing Attached to each other-- like some of those OLD homesteads in New England! I dream of Earth Sheltered housing, for me and my animals. 'Honey, would you go out on the roof and get the salad, please?"

Latest posts

Back