Bunny Bran goes to the Fair

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owlsfriend

Reaction score
Today at the State Fair, life was almost too exciting. I got up at 5:30, walked over to Pat's and stirred up a single batch of Branola, popped it in the oven and went home to feed rabbits. By the time I got back to Pat's garage, it was time to stir and staple business cards to the snack-sized baggies that I wanted to use for free samples. Just about the time I finished that, the Branola was done.
The sample size was 1.5 oz, a good sized handful....made 50 of them and put the second set of pans in the oven with the timer. I was locked and loaded for the fair by 8:30. I was worried about getting thrown out of the fair for distributing (anything) outside concession or retail booth, joking about being arrested since Bunny Bran is too broke to pay my bail. I put it all in a hand bag and briefcase.
Ha! In this post 9-11 world, the IN State Fair doesn't have a metal detector at the gate or check bags! Amazing! All they wanted was their $12 admission fee. I paid a dollar to ride the shuttle to the opposite side of the fairgrounds, totally worth it.
Within 90 minutes I'd distributed and chatted-up 50+ samples, actually sold a bag and probably gained a consistent customer. Several people asked about getting 25#....I really am going to have to figure out how that would work, because I would think it would need a bucket with a seal....there are no preservatives beyond the dehydration and I would hate for anyone to have product spoil....

What is the biggest sized bag you have? Wondering if a very large vacuum seal would do.

Fun! Congrats on the marketing success!!

Could you do 5# vacuum sealed bags? That way they can still buy in bulk, but not have such a huge amount that might spoil. Not sure the overhead costs for that, but the Foodsaver systems might be worth the investment (plus you could use them for other things as well).

heritage":3vdto88f said:
Fun! Congrats on the marketing success!!

Could you do 5# vacuum sealed bags? That way they can still buy in bulk, but not have such a huge amount that might spoil. Not sure the overhead costs for that, but the Foodsaver systems might be worth the investment (plus you could use them for other things as well).

that's exactly what I'm thinking. Opening 5# bags is safer than one large 25# bag.

As far as the buckets go, if you decide to go that way, be sure to scour Craigslist. I know in our area, there are always food safe containers for sale, and pretty cheap. You'd just have to add in the bucket cost, of course.

I have a vacuum sealer for my small sizes...the main issue is not letting moisture IN. I thought of putting it in 5 gallon buckets with those moisture absorption packs.....but I don't know how much weight I can get into a 5 gallon bucket.....since it's dehydrated, it is pretty light.

Around here, I can get buckets with lids from the baking department at Sam's Club for free. Usually, they're rinsed, so you just have to give them a good washing. I've gotten them only once when I had to deal with smears and globs of icing.

I can get round ones in a couple of sizes, and rectangular ones.

Latest posts

Back