Bunny ate a cinnamon stick!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stemnyj

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

My bunny got a hold of a cinnamon stick, and I found him chewing on it. He had eaten about halfway through the stick by the time I noticed and took it from him.

Is cinnamon toxic to rabbits?

Is there any foods or anything I can give him to help with upset stomach?

That I don't know. I've never dealt with one of my rabbits getting into something they shouldn't. Personally, I'd just let him be uncomfortable for a little bit and feed him normally, same as I do with my kids when they get into something that is stomach-upsetting but not dangerous.

Give him old fashion quaker oats. Those are a great stomach settler<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm __________<br /><br />As far as knowing if it is toxic to rabbits, that I don't know. I had one get into mini wheats and it REALLY upset his stomach. I picked him up and I got hit with projectile diarrhea. First time that had ever happened. He must have an iron gut. Just gave him his regular pellets and a sprinkle of oats, cleaned his butt, and he's was fine in few hours and hasn't had a problem since. He's just a goober that likes to get into trouble, and when I yell at him, he binkies to the next thing that will make me yell at him again :roll:

Your rabbits odd eating habits have me concerned. First cat food and now cinnamon sticks!

I suspect he has some severe nutrition issues, either that or a mental disorder called 'pica'

If he were mine I would de-worm him, de-coccidia him and go back to basics of a free-fed Timothy hay and 1 cup of high quality alfalfa based pellet with 18% protein for at least 2 weeks. Then I let him loose in a room full of a variety of foods, including cat food and cinnamon sticks, and see what he fancies.

Peach":aonxk6u2 said:
He's just a goober that likes to get into trouble, and when I yell at him, he binkies to the next thing that will make me yell at him again :roll:
Sounds like he's got you well-trained! :lol:

At least you know what to give him if he ever gets stopped up... :shock:

Dood, thank you. I certainly will.

I've already switched him from store brand pellets to green pellets from the feed store, and he also has a hanging tray of alfalfa wheat in his cage. Thing is, the feed store didn't really give me a bag with a nutritional label or anything... do they typically have feed with the right balance of nutrition? I had kind of figured they'd have bags out with labels (I've used a farm supply store's vet before, but never really shopped there), so I went in with a general knowledge of what you guys had suggested, but not enough to question the lady on the percentage of protein in it. I just asked if it was good quality, the right nutritional needs for bunnies, and she said yes.

I'll be bringing him to the vet in a couple of days. It may have stemmed from his past... he'd been passed around homes for a couple of months before I got him. One person had even traded him for two puppies they were trying to get rid of, not because they wanted a bunny, but because they wanted to get rid of the puppies. When he came to me, I found various non-nutritional stuff in his bedding that he'd been fed, including Fruit Loops.

Could it possibly be a non-medical issue? I mean, like I said, I don't have prior experience with bunnies... but I've heard, for instance, that they like to chew on wires, etc. I've found him nibbling on a variety of things... the carpet, my daughter's toys. Could it just be 'grazing'?<br /><br />__________ Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:44 am __________<br /><br />Oh, and also... another question. The directions on the bag of store brand pellets I'd bought him said to feed freely, so I've basically been refilling his pellets and hay whenever I noticed he was out. Is that the right thing to do? I know he's a large breed (the majority of you guys agree he has flemish in him), so I didn't know if I should limit him to a certain amount of cups per day.

Oh, and do you think the chewing on everything could be boredom? We bought him a bunny ball toy, but he doesn't play with it much.. and he has some kind of hanging blocks toy in his cage that was given to me with him, but I've never seen him even look twice at it. I let him freely roam the house for a couple of hours every day, and I take him outside with us any time me and my daughter go out to play... but sometimes when he's in his cage he'll become a little tyrant, picking up his litter box in his mouth and throwing it around as best he can. I'd like to get him something to play with when he's locked in his cage, but I haven't really seen many bunny toys in stores.

In fact, he just hopped up on the couch next to me and tried to nibble on the corner of my laptop! Lol

Latest posts

Back