Bunnies Breakin' Even!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond

Reaction score
Well, for two months running now the rabbits will be paying the farm's feed bill. And they bought us 20 pullets (young laying hens). A big chunk of that comes from the Meat Rabbit 101 classes, but I also have a lot of $15 to $30 New Zealand rabbits a-hoppin' off the farm. Getting return customers and a reputation established in the community. I have a steadily growing base of clients buying dressed fryers at $5.00 a pound. We have built an efficient processing station and I am gaining speed with the processing part. My fryers are dressing out at an average of 3.5 to 4 pounds at 11 to 13 weeks (around 6.5 to 7 pounds live weight)

Very happy with all the hard work we have put in to developing the rabbitry..... finally paying off. Plus all of the delicious rabbit we eat. Now I am wanting to get some blue New Zealands. I have a stellar pedigreed NZ white buck who is an 11 pound brute, worth keeping long-term to breed back into the color lines for adding size. Working on conformation and coat quality in my breeding program.

It's encouraging to hear it's working out for you. I'm so in the hole I'm going to cull about 10 buns in the next two weeks to keep costs down. I hope a bit of your success will come my way.

Great job! It's nice just to have feed paid for, so anything above and beyond is icing on the cake for sure!

That is wonderful! I hope someday my buns will get there.

I had a very "interesting" discussion on homesteadingtoday.com a while back regarding the rabbit business, someone asked if rabbits were profitable, quite a few people said no, a few laughed and said no, I of course said heck yes and someone "called me out" and told me to post my ledger! anywho I did to share and educate. rabbits can definitely pay bills, you just have to be smart about it, build clients and return customers. think outside the box. congrats on your rabbitry business and I am glad it is working out for you.

That's awesome Diamond! I've been doing pretty well in the pet bunny/4-H rabbit business here as well. It's so rewarding and encouraging. Glad to hear things are going so well for you. :)

Latest posts

Back