Bummed :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatzNetherlands

Reaction score
Just found out today that our city passed a law only allowing 2-3 chickens... We were 2 days away from getting 15.... I am thinking more and more that we need to move out of town... We live in a small farming town... it is a mile square.... what is a few more chickens going to hurt!?! We have decided to get our limit and then later, after we show they are not a nuisance, see if we can get a permit for more... I was really hoping to raise them all together though.... oh well....

Is the law in effect? Most laws have a period of time before they are in effect-- and anything that existed prior to the law becoming effective gets grandfathered in-- check it out....

Maybe they could be grandfathered in since you already ordered them. That's ridiculous. Don't tell anyone, but I am a renegade. I live downtown and am not allowed to have much of anything considering my lot doesn't allow for the appropriate set-backs, but I keep them clean and quiet and nobody's the wiser. Just don't have roosters.

Unfortunately it is already in effect... It is okay... we will figure it out. I think we can get a permit for more, so long as I bribe my neighbors with eggs for a signature saying they don't care.... lol It is a small town where most people have more animals than they are allowed... I just don't want to have to lose my animals if I get caught having more... which I would... LOL

can you get a permit that will allow you to have more animals? In my town if you own over the limit on dogs and cats you have to get a multiple animal permit so that the animals won't be taken away....thats too bad soory if this dosen't help..You probly would need to get some type of agriculture permit but I don't know..

We are going to look into it... Right now, we have two chows, a really old cat, 4 bunnies and a crapload of fish(I raise African Cichlids).... They don't have a limit on cats, just dogs, and apparently 'fowl'... No one I know heard about this getting passed but my husband talked to the city today.... He requested the RCWs that state the limit(we want it in writing) and when he gets that, he will ask if there is a way to get a permit. If you live even on the outside of town, you can have whatever you want... unfortunately, we live right in the middle....<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 pm __________<br /><br />And the crappy part too, we do not even have neighbors on one side of our house... just an empty lot... it is not like they would bother anyone...

Too bad... but Im with MaggieJ, glad you didnt already have them and had to part with them. Now that would have been terrible.

We have talked about it - we know people on the city council and we are going to talk to them, and then go to a city council meeting and try to get the number changed... they do not have a limit on cats in this town, why would they have one on chickens? I am not wanting 100 chickens in the middle of town, I want like 10-15... I will even forego the rooster if need be(at least for right now).... Will keep you all updated!

Can you post the local by-law on here? Im good with finding loopholes! Somtimes if your an upstanding member with a local poultry club, that does the trick as thier "show birds". Im almost willing to bet too that if you had the birds before the by-law went into effect they cant make you kull the animals. If your asked they were there before the by-law went into place. But if you can post the actual by-law (usually found on you city's website) or call town hall and have them fax you a copy of the actuall by-law. Hope this helps!

I think I have the right state lol :

WA

Battle Ground, WA. No restrictions on poultry or game birds, and roosters are allowed.
Bothell, WA. You may own 3 or less fowl. Must keep coop 20 ft. from your own property line. If your neighbors say it’s okay, you may place chickens closer to your shared property line.
Camas, WA. The city code doesn’t appear to explicitly outlaw chickens, but it just says you can’t keep any animal that becomes a “public nuisance.” And nuisance is defined there as “…annoying noise or odor, causing detriment to the health, safety and welfare of neighboring persons and properties…kept in such manner as to be nauseous, foul or offensive.”
Edmonds, WA. As of November 15, 2009, up to three hens (no roosters) may be kept per single family lot.
Everett, WA. No roosters. Five hens allowed without a permit. If you want more than five, you must get a facility license permit from Animal Services. This requires inspection of your facilities/property. Chickens must be kept enclosed.
Gig Harbor, WA. No regulations for animals except bees.
La Center, WA. Having a few chickens is neither specifically permitted nor prohibited under La Center current code. Conform to nuisance and health rules.
Lynnwood, WA. An accessory building for the housing of small animals or fowl shall not exceed 36 square feet in floor area when located on a residential lot and neither the building nor the fenced area for roaming shall be closer than 25 feet to a property line.
Mill Creek, WA. If you want to keep chickens, the square footage of your lot must be 7,500 sq. ft. Up to six hens allowed. Roosters illegal. thoroughfare.
Olympia, WA. Up to 3 birds, hens are considered, roosters prohibited.
Richland. WA. Each dwelling unit and the accompanying lot or common area is limited to five (5) household pets. (chickens are considered household pets). "Household Pets" means any dogs, cats, rabbits, ducks, geese, pigeons, chickens or other similar animals over the age of six (6) months.
Seatac, WA. Up to five chickens (including roosters) on any sized lot. The total number of chickens allowed will be reduced by the number of other animals (including cats and dogs) on the property.
Seattle, WA. Major update from Nov. 2010 for chickens in Seattle: Up to eight domestic fowl may be kept on any lot. Roosters are not permitted. Hen house must be located at least 10 feet away from any residential structure on an adjacent lot.
Sedro-Woolley, WA. It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to maintain any stable, pen, lot, place, or premises in which any horses, cattle, hogs, sheep, goats, mink, fox, chinchilla, or any other animals, or in which any chickens, ducks, or other fowl or poultry may be confined or kept in such manner as to be nauseous, foul, or offensive to any community, neighbor, family, or person, or to allow such animals to roam at large within the city limits. (Ord. 828 § 4, 1976)
Spokane, WA. Up to three chickens allowed.. Can have up to three animals total.
Tacoma, WA. Livestock allowed in the city
Vancouver, WA. Chickens are allowed, however roosters and peacocks are not.
Woodinville, WA. No restrictions in the code for animals according to the planning department

We don't have the by-laws online, the city sucks at getting anything online... Even the courthouse records are not online....

We live in Davenport(by Spokane)...My husband couldn't get the RCWs today because he was out of town, but I work with him tomorrow, so I will make sure we run down to the city and get a copy of it... We have a old copy and there is nothing in there about them....

From what I was told, they passed or rather 'clarified' this RCW last year, but we want to see it written....

I would be fine paying for a permit if that is what they want me to do... I just don't want to be fully restricted on my chickens... Let the battle begin!!! LOL :twisted:

How about taking some credit bearing Animal Husbandry classes on line . Then practice saying "Oh Your Honor , those aren't chickens .... they're homework".

Did you read how many chickens are allowed in SEATTLE? up to 8!! this is fuel for you to help change the bylaws to something a little better! Although, some of those towns have absolutely NO RESTRICTIONS!! How unfair is that when you live a few miles away in a place governed by "sticks in the mud"!!!

Latest posts

Back